Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 10:39 AM

Default final table question -I had no clue what to do

My stack is 4 big blinds and I am under the gun.

The next guy is the button and has the 2nd amount of chips and about 20 big blinds.

The third guy has about 30 to 40 big blind and is the small blind.

The big blind on my right had a bit more than me. Probably 4.5 big blinds plus the blind already paid.

In 6 minutes the blinds will be raised so I will have about 2.5 big blinds if i don't move soon.

The other 3 people are ok players, definately not the stars of the regular week. Only one of these people have gotten paid at this weekly tourney since we started in February. I have won 1st place 3 times and 2nd twice and 3rd four times.

Payouts were 1st 280 2nd 150 3rd 85 4th 45. $20 buy in- $2 fee.

I am under the gun and pick up 2 black dueces.

I absolutely no clue what to do. After a good minute I exclaimed this and tossed them into the muck.

Was this a good idea? Should i have moved all in?

What happened afterwards was a call by the small blind and the big blind won the blinds after it was checked through with a pair of fours. She had A4o.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: final table question -I had no clue what to do

I would fold. Against two callers, you have almost no shot at winning. I'd rather move in with K7 than 22 with such a small stack.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My stack is 4 big blinds and I am under the gun.

[...] In 6 minutes the blinds will be raised so I will have about 2.5 big blinds if i don't move soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a problem with your calculation. Your UTG with 4 BB - when you have paid BB and SB you'll be left with 2.5 BB, and if the blinds go up (you don't state how much) you'll have less.

The two big stack don't really have any interest in tangling with you two micro-stacks. Winning is not going to improve their position to any major degree, whereas doubling (or trippling) any of you up might will put you in position to give them problems. So unless any of them wake up with a real hand they should be inclined to fold to your all-in.

You state no read on the BB, but unless he just took a beat finding him this late with such a small stack just before the blinds are about to increase makes me guess he's tight/weak.

On your next hand (when you're the BB) you will have to call any raise all-in with any two cards, or you're dead for sure. Pushing here with your ducks gives you a shot at either folding the BB or getting heads-up with him - and close to 50% equity against a large range of hands.

I dont see you can fold here. You must push.

As always, how the cards actually fell is irrelevant.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 07-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Easy push. I would open push with 22 and less than 10xBB from any position at a full table.

In this situation, you should push with any hand that is not complete junk. If you a card ten or over or are suited that is good enough.

If you don't push, you should usually defend your BB next hand.