Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Input please on this bluff attempt

5+R for 700K qual. After rebuy period. No real reads at table everything seemed pretty standard. Thought the
UTG mini might look like big PP. When flop hit, I thought there were too many ways villian was dominated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t14600)
UTG+1 (t22600)
MP1 (t18345)
MP2 (t18883)
MP3 (t14543)
CO (t26382)
Button (t9280)
SB (t47980)
BB (t32510)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, UTG+1 calls t1200, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls t600.

Flop: (t3400) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t3000</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t13350\

Thoughts???
Old 07-30-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Input please on this bluff attempt

I saw bad flop to bluff into with a preflop call of a raise.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:08 AM

I play in $5 rebuys a lot. A lot of the players don't take in to consideration the fact that you could have flopped a high set. If he's the average $5 rebuy player holding something like AQ (2 pair) or AJ (I STILL HAVE A STRAIGHT DRAW), which are very possible, i dont think he folds it.

In a bigger buyin tournament, against the right opponent, i think this play could work. At a $5 rebuy without a read, i think i let it go.

I wouldnt mind knowing how it worked out. Did he call and you hit runner runner flush?!
Old 07-30-2005, 04:14 AM

I think you're giving the other players too much credit... people do all kinds of nutty things at $5 tourneys. Many times, the play leads me to believe that villians pull reads right out of their balloon knot.

That being said, I think this play is poorly-conceived at any level. If he calls with anything, you're pretty much dead in the water.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:41 AM

I often raise with rags UTG. I often make obvious bluff attempts that are only good to fold 4th button hands (underpairs). This is what makes me a good player.

Seriously though, dude, what are you donig? In his shoes, I'm not folding 22. Of course, in his shoes, I'm also holding a hand good enough to call a PFR from the UTG player. I don't know what you were trying to accomplish raising these rags UTG. There are better ways to steal the blinds. I don't know what hand you are representing. I don't know of a single hand that is legitimately played in this fashion. Stick to playing solid poker. Leave the FPS at home.

CSC
Old 07-30-2005, 09:23 AM

Completely insane play all around. You are playing in a 5 dollar tournament. You cannot believe they are going to interpret your min raise as a BIG POCKET pair and thus toss their pocket Jacks proudly into the muck.

Min raising preflop here is basically terrible. Someone should have taught you the lesson to not try to run fancy bluffs against weak players. Of course this doesn't mean obvious steal situations, but what you did here is so way over the top.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:48 PM

Wow,
CSC and Curtains, you 2 are very passionate in your dislike for this play- Seems almost personal [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Is there really absolutely no hand that plays this way? One would never CR allin on this flop after the minibet PF?

I don't think JJ is smooth calling the miniraise with 7 players still left to act- this isn't level 1 of a SnG, I think he's reraising to go heads up. AK,QQ,KK, and AA are also pretty much assured a reraise as well given position I think. I'm not too concerned that he called with J10, but I think KJ and KQ are possibilities as is AJ, and AQ. Given this, and please correct me (i know you will) where you think I'm mistaken, besides AQ and KQ is he really gonna call off all his chips with AJ into what is probably a confusing flop for him. Plus given that he just called a PF miniraise what the hell could he have thats in love with this flop?

CSC and Curtains I respect both of your knowledge, experience, and abilities to play this game. I do however, find your responses a bit condescending and arrogant (which I guess is par for the course with CSC). Telling me I should be "taught a lesson" and that I should leave the fancy play "at home" (which by the way is were I was when I made it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) doesn't do much to help here. I just thought given that board and a call behind a miniraise, there wasn't much villian could think he was ahead and I definitely don't think he calls with 1010 or 22.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:32 PM

Im talking about your preflop play, I didn't even comment on postflop. There is absolutely no reason to min raise UTG for about 1/10th of your stack with 85s in a $5 tournament. It cannot possibly be +EV