Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 05:35 PM

Default NL50 AJ Hand... Good Fold?

BB was a loose agressive player preflop, but fairly passive post-flop.

I checked behind on the turn to keep the pot small, and was not sure if my holding was good.

Immediately after he overbet on the river, he typed in the chat, "wrong bet."

Is this a standard fold or weak-tight?

Party Poker (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero raises to $2.50. BB calls $2.00.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> pot = $5
BB checks. Hero bets $4. BB calls $4.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>pot = $13
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> pot = $13
BB bets $20. Hero folds.

Final Pot:$32.60
Old 07-29-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: NL50 AJ Hand... Good Fold?

easy fold.

there's no way somebody actually types wrong bet when they made a wrong bet.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2005, 05:58 PM

strange overbet, but this reeks of poor play. you raise it UTG+1 make trip aces which is about all you can hope for and then give it up? dont raise that junk if you aren't seeing it to SD for a reasonble price when you make trips. im not saying your river fold was a bad one--your preflop play is the questionable portion when you compare it to the river
Old 07-31-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
strange overbet, but this reeks of poor play. you raise it UTG+1 make trip aces which is about all you can hope for and then give it up? dont raise that junk if you aren't seeing it to SD for a reasonble price when you make trips. im not saying your river fold was a bad one--your preflop play is the questionable portion when you compare it to the river

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, i'm not getting a reasonable price. Also i think the preflop raise was fine as the table was playing extremely passive.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:45 PM

Wow, I am totally going against the crowd on this one. You should not have checked this turn if you were going to fold to a bet on the river. Given that you checked the turn, you need to call this river. I think a better line wouldve been to lead the turn for about 2/3 pot and see what happens. No way I fold this river.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I am totally going against the crowd on this one. You should not have checked this turn if you were going to fold to a bet on the river. Given that you checked the turn, you need to call this river. I think a better line wouldve been to lead the turn for about 2/3 pot and see what happens. No way I fold this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands am i beating that he is betting $20 on the end with?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:52 PM

Have to bet the turn here...if you get check-raised, let it go. If he calls then checks the river, decide if you want to value bet or just check behind. If he calls then leads out on the river, you're probably beat. By checking the turn, you open yourself up to an easy bluff by any decent player. You also will find yourself guessing on the river, like you were here.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:53 PM

A smaller pocket pair, a card he paired to give him 2pr or a weaker ace than yours. Like I said, the problem with this hand is not putting some money in on the turn. Depending on how you have been playing, your bet on the flop might not have meant a whole lot to him. You gave him no real reason to believe you actually had the ace.