Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 04:54 PM

Default TDL 2-7: HU with 22233

I thought this was an interesting decision. You're HU in the BB with 22233. The SB raises you and you call.

How many cards do you draw? I could see an argument for standing pat, drawing 1 or drawing 3. Any thoughts? Do you do different things against different opponents? Any other factors change your decision?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: TDL 2-7: HU with 22233

I personally like to stand pat with this hand (although I'd reraise if I was going to do this). Of course if he's drawing less than 2 I probably alter my decision, because he's likely to make a hand he's willing to show down.

If I decide the snow isn't going to work (because he improves to a one card draw before the final draw), I would take a shot at drawing 3 and hope for lots of improvement.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:36 PM

Yeah, my mistake. Obviously, if you're going to snow, you're going to raise.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:09 AM

You can make an argument for reraising this hand in all situations. The SB acting first in the hand will tell you what to do. If he draws 1, I think you gotta draw 3, but your opponent will remember this one and it should affect his decisions later as your 3 bets lose meaning. If he draws at least 2, I think the better snow may be drawing 1 out of the BB, as you rope the opponent into carring on farther into the hand with false hope, and none in the SB where you want to look strong and try to take it down early, since you cant catch any pat hand warning bells and draw like a donkey.

It is player dependent. I know one guy that drew against a A-5 late decision to snow on me after I saw 7 good cards under 7, then called me out of position with a K. Don't snow that guy. And of course anyone running well is tougher to snow, best to do this if the guy is demoralized some, I love snowing players running bad, they fold a lot easier since they expect to end up the loser by this point.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:18 AM

I was assuming we were playing with regular HU blinds (SB is button), but your explanation is still good.

I actually called a raise and drew 3 in this situation. My opponent had been playing fairly loosely. I figured that with the cards I had, he was unlikely to make anything better than a bad 9. With that information, I'd keep any nine or below and just try to outplay him on the later streets (which I was pretty confident I could do against this opponent).

I believe I drew 3, he drew 2, I checked, he bet, I called, I drew one, he drew 2, I bet and he folded. The reason I like this play is that I'm almost certainly stealing many of his outs AND I know he's usually drawing rough here. So, I felt I would win all the times he failed to make a hand he could showdown and still have a decent chance when he does make a hand he feels is worth going to showdown.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:55 PM

draw three and snow
Old 07-30-2005, 04:57 PM

of course only if this is triple draw if ist kc then you stand pat
Old 07-31-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
draw three and snow

[/ QUOTE ]
I pretty much agree, I think you should draw three and consider snowing a later round if you catch bad. Hey, how about drawing three round 1, one on round 2, and staying pat on round 3. I'm pretty much the worst triple draw player in the history of time and space, though, so you can pretty safely disregard my advice.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
draw three and snow

[/ QUOTE ]
I pretty much agree, I think you should draw three and consider snowing a later round if you catch bad. Hey, how about drawing three round 1, one on round 2, and staying pat on round 3. I'm pretty much the worst triple draw player in the history of time and space, though, so you can pretty safely disregard my advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like drawing two and snowing unless he draws 1, personally. It explains the preflop call, and is somewhat more believable than either 3 or 1. If you do catch good, you can go back to drawing.