Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2003, 03:59 AM

Default How would you bet this NL hand

It is Paradise NL 0,5/1.00 table.
I'm in the cutoff with 99 and $125 on the table. SB who is the opponent here have me covered. He is playing around 40% of his hands and aprox 20% of his actions is raises.

2 limpers to me and I limp. Button fold and SB raise to $6. All fold to me and I call.

$15 in the pot.
Flop 2 6 9 rainbow

SB bets $13, I raise $13 more to $26, SB immediately reraises $13 more to $39. The pot is now $80 and I have $93 left.

What is the best action now?

Old 03-07-2003, 04:14 AM

Default What I did

I reraised all-in. He thought for a long time and then folded.

I felt like a chicken. I gave him opportunity to fold. I think I should just have called and made a half sized pot bet on the turn if he checks and rest on the river to be sure to get it all in.

The biggest dangerour is a straightdraw and I wanted to remove that possibility and hope that he would call with a set or a big pair. But would he reraise with a straight draw? His small reraise could be either a test of where he was or an attempt to drag all my money in. I ended up giving him all the information he needed.

Old 03-07-2003, 04:29 AM

Default What I would do

I would have took the max. amount of time before calling his bet hoping he would bet out on the turn. The straight should be of no worry to you as it would be an appx. 12-1 shot and if he hits it at this point hes getting 2-1, you must allow him the chance to keep on betting into you. If checked to on the turn try a half pot bet or an equally inticing bet that he would most likely call. On a hand like this you have him trapped, now get his stack. Just my thoughts hope it helps.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:43 AM

Default Re: What I would do

Actually his straight draw could be a 1:4 shot on the turn with 78 in his hand.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:13 AM

Default Re: How would you bet this NL hand

The only draw out there is the straight draw and that's very unlikely given that he raised from early position preflop. you never know, but it's unlikely. Even if he has it, you're a huge favourite since he has to hit it and you have to fail to fill up.

In situations like this you want to get his money in the middle, whether it's now or on the next card.

He is out of position so give him a hard time: call and make him guess what to do on fourth street. Maybe he'll get away from it anyway - he might have no hand. More likely, he has an overpair and will bet again. If his bet is anywhere close to the size of the pot, raise all-in.

If he checks, bet half the pot.

I don't agree with MHoydilla about taking a long time to call. Anyone who deviates from their usual betting pace is up to something. Also, it slows the game down.

In a live game, where you can perhaps make it look like you're considering a fold, maybe try it, if you're a good actor. Online, suspicious is suspicious is suspicious, and it would make me check the turn every time.

Guy.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:28 PM

Default my mistake

When i was looking at this hand earier i completely disreguarded the 78, for some reason (not a good one) I was only thinking of the gut shot. Your right there is definately an open ender but I would still allow the other player to have control and just call his last raise. Aslong as the 10 or 5 doesnt come on the turn put him all in if bets and bet half pot if he checks.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:29 PM

Not to be picky, but his pot odds are completely skewed if you go all in...he's still about a 4-1 against his draw, but he needs to call your stack-sized bet (~90) to win 170, making his pot odds less than 2-1. He has to fold this draw.

A more likely hand, say JJ, is a 22.5-1 against hitting his pair. His pot odds are terrible. He has to fold anything but the second nuts or a massive draw to your all-in bet.

You've got him by the balls here, and he wants to give you his stack. Call his bet and flatten him on the turn.

-Diplomat
Old 03-07-2003, 04:41 PM

You make me think again...... I have the flu and I'm not clear in my head right now, so I may be wrong

If he has the straightdraw he is 2:1 against (2 cards to come) and I'm all-in. Furthermore he already paied $13 with his own raise, which means he only have to pay around 75-80 (havent calculated exactly) to win 170, so it seems that he actually have enough odds.... execpt for the fact that I can fill up.

I just don't think he had the draw, he wouldnt have reraised flop then. And then his odds IS completely screwed.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Re: How would you bet this NL hand

Chr,

You're committed to the hand, so now you just want to figure out how to get all the money into the middle. The way the action went I would call. With $90 to go if he bets the turn you're all in, and he'll follow you with AA or KK because he pot-stuck himself.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:27 PM

With the open ender, he's just worse that 2-1 against hitting with two cards to come, as you say; but he's 3 -1 against winning because you can fill up.

Guy.