Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Interesting hand: CA B&M Mid-Limit

I'd been playing about two hours at my usual club where everyone thinks I play extremely tight, which I do....preflop from early position. As a side note, its such a nice feeling to rarely ever get 3-bet PF when open-raising from mid/late position whcih is precisely the respect I get in my local card club but rarely online (I'm a 19/9 which is probably tight for B&M but a bit loose for online, I guess). Anyway, I'm in the big blind with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG (who is one of the only reasonable players in this 10-handed game) limps, UTG+1, an obnoxious lady raises. I've played a lot of hands with her and know that she always has AJo, KQo, 77 or better here. Two late position degenerate cold-callers come in who are stuck and could have as bad as 43o. The SB folds. I call (is this standard?). The flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I'm first to act and observe that the degenerate cold-caller look unhappy with the flop so I bet, UTG folds, lady raises, degenerate cold-callers reluctantly drop out. Turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, lady bets, I raise, lady calls very quickly. River is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, lady raises, I fold. Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand: CA B&M Mid-Limit

Is there NOTHING worth commenting on?
Old 07-29-2005, 03:10 PM

I don't pretend to be a good card player - enjoy reading posts here and trying to improve my game. Others I'm sure can offer better insight.

It seems awful weak to me to give away a pot of 15-20 bb, for 1 bet.

Are you putting her on a set? Diamonds, that have come up runner-runner?

Would she raise preflop with K-J?

If the set, or K-J, probably should have gotten out on the flop.

Once you are through the river, I don't give the pot away for 1 bet. Interested to see other thoughts...We'll see if I know anything...
Old 07-29-2005, 03:18 PM

I think that against a live player of the kind you describe, this may be a good fold. Given the size of the pot, I'd have a hard time doing it though.

It sounds like she had the AK or KQ of diamonds. No other hands really makes sense for her given your read.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Call preflop is standard as you are getting 9 to 1 on your money.

You are getting 12:1 to call the flop raise. fine, its time to suckout on her.

You do on the turn and get in your checkraise. She doesn't 3bet so you are probably safe from a set or bigger 2 pr.

River I think you have to bet here for value, but when raised you have to call UNLESS, you know she bets her draws, and you know she would never raise bluff the river. If you don't know these things for a fact, then I would be calling down in a pot this big.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:48 PM

FYI-
She is capable of betting her draws but mainly for value on the flop...I've played about 10k B&M hands with her and only seen her raise-bluff once on the big bet streets and that was the turn with a monster draw which she promptly checked down on the river when she missed and had A-high. However, maybe she does it more than I think and just never has to show. What do you all think of the flop bet?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:06 PM

Hi vmacosta,

If you're going to make tough folds for 1 bet on the river, you must understand the impact this will have on your image, and adjust accordingly. A fold like this gets noticed, and will cause some of the players to think differently about you. Unfortunately, it won't necessarily be obvious who, or exactly what they're thinking.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 07-29-2005, 07:18 PM

if NOTHING ELSE, I call on the river so that i'm bluff-raised less often.

seriously, everything is fine except for the river. sure, you're most likely beaten, but if you don't want to get into tough spots later, I call ONE final bb in this monstrous pot
Old 07-29-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if NOTHING ELSE, I call on the river so that i'm bluff-raised less often.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you call, so that next time you face a situation like this you can... call, so that next time you face a situation like this...

This is self-defeating behavior. You call to prevent them from bluffing, which just makes your calls worse. Why not make a spectacular fold, the kind you can only get away with against this one woman, turn it face up, and then scoop up the chips as players take shots at you for the rest of the night? Having them bluff you is only a problem if you don't know how to handle it.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 07-29-2005, 10:35 PM

that hand was played perfectly. where is this game curiously.