Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Marginal 88--Help me formulate a plan

Villain is a reasonable LAG (something like 35/18/1.8 I guess), and is capable of raising this flop with anything from a PP to a Q to a semi-bluff (though it's not guaranteed he will). He would NOT raise on a complete bluff.

Should I just fold to the flop raise? If not, what turn cards if any should I fold to? Should I stop-and-go a safe turn? What's my river plan? Am I making this too complicated, and should I just call down regardless because there are so many PP's below 88? Keep in mind the PP's must be discounted because even LAGs often just call down with them on boards like this.

So, what's the plan??

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP folds, Hero...
Old 07-29-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Marginal 88--Help me formulate a plan

Villian is just LAG enough that I feel pretty good about my hand here. It's a tough spot though, because our hand is vulnerable, but villian could be holding quite a few hands that we have 0 fold equity against.

I think I would attack, I don't want to give a free card on the turn. I 3bet the flop and lead every turn. If he's still with me on the river I will often check call, hoping hell bet his missed draw or lower pp.

If he caps the flop behind me I'm pretty much done. Ill call and see the turn for the ridicullous implied odds and the small chance that hes overplaying his frush draw and checks it through. If he fires again im prepared to muck it.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:45 AM

I think any further aggression on your part would be a mistake. I think if you are going to continue with the hand it should be only by calling. Maybe you could fold if a spade or an Ace hit, but I really don't know. For what it's worth, my LAG opponents can't wait to raise a board like this with a low pocket pair.

Cartman
Old 07-29-2005, 06:49 AM

I call and check out the turn action. I think he has a T here pretty often even if he is a little LAGish. If he takes a freebee then fine, it sucks letting him draw but your hand is in trouble anyway. Any two broadways or spades containing an overcard has you crushed. Though if he checks the turn and a river bricks its an easy c/c. If he'll semi-bluff a draw twice then more power to him, he can have the pot. When he bets the turn he either has a ton of outs or more likely he has us beat and I don't like the possibility of either. I fold to a turn bet.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:44 PM

If he semibluff raised the flop, I guarantee you he's firing another barrel on the turn on this board.