Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 AM

Default When you do not want overcalls - River play

I'm just seeing if I can get any input on if I applied this concept correctly. This is from SSHE river play part when you don't want overcalls.

UTG is 75/5/.5 after 60 hands and MP3 is 32/1/.6 after about 80 hands. I didn't have much of a read on these two, other than the normal call-station way of playing. I had been making really good reads at the table so far, so that's why I made the play I did. Any comments on the very passive checks on the flop/turn are welcome as well, but I figured they weren't gonna fold, and that wasn't exactly a good flop...anyways. The raise on the river was due to me thinking I had a good chance of having the bettor beaten, with no real clue what UTG would have done with facing one bet. Due to no strength shown post-flop, I figured this was worth a try.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kd Ah (two pair, tens and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.50 BB. </font>
Old 07-29-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: When you do not want overcalls - River play

River play is alright when you get to that point, but why not just take it down on the turn?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 AM

Why did you check flop and turn? A turn bet will probably pick up this pot and if they call u can check the river. You probably had the best hand here.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:04 AM

I can see checking the flop but you really need to take a stab at the pot on the turn once they check to you again.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:45 PM

I know I shouldn't play this way and I really rarely do, but I had been gunshy about my whole night so far, hence the passive play. I'd definitely take a stab at it in the future. So is the consensus that I should usually take a shot at it on the flop, turn, or both? Just trying to improve my play in these overcard situations. I just figured it may have hit somebody and the way they played they would have called it down, but I'll definitely take stabs at it in the future, as I'd probably get a call from anyone with even 1 high club and would have gotten an extra bet or 2 out of it.