Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Flopped a flush, now what

Party 2/4 full table

Hip is Button with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

5 calls, Hip calls, SB folds, BB checks

Flop (7 players) 7ish SB

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets, UTG calls, MP calls, I call

<font color="blue"> My plan is to raise any non club on the turn</font>

Turn (4 players) 5.5BB

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets, MP folds, Hip...

I was really unsure how to proceed here. I didn't know if I should outright fold, or call 1 bet on each street, or raise the turn and fold to a re raise.

UTG was just your typical party donk. Wasn't hyper aggressive, but, wasn't totally horrible.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Flopped a flush, now what

I really think you need to raise this flop. I don't think it's close at all.

On the turn, I tend to take a simple approach and call down here when villain is even somewhat aggressive, and fold when he isn't. If you can put him on a handrange preflop that often helps.

Rob
Old 07-28-2005, 09:27 PM

100% raise this flop.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you need to raise this flop. I don't think it's close at all.

On the turn, I tend to take a simple approach and call down here when villain is even somewhat aggressive, and fold when he isn't. If you can put him on a handrange preflop that often helps.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard line is to raise this flop. I just figured anyone with a big club is going to call, so I'd hit them on the turn with a raise, and let the BB bet his ace.

I like raising the flop.

You might get as many bets as you would on a non club turn (3 more small bets if you raise on the flop, whereas someone leading on the turn might induce 2 folds and only get you to call).

Also, if you raise the flop, and a club turns, you are more likely to get checked to (you save a SB). If someone bets out on the turn, I probably fold b/c with a 4 way pot, my 7 is not likely to be good.

-Matt

You have to ask yourself if UTG, after flat calling the A-high, 3-suited flop, would then lead into a field of 4 without a flush. Because any bets you put into the pot from this point on have to be predicated on the belief that he does not have a flush, as it's a bit much to hope that he's betting with the 2, 3, or 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. So if he isn't just getting aggressive with two pair or something, I don't think you can call a turn bet getting 6.5:1 on a 1-outer. You certainly can't call 2 bets to get to showdown with those odds.

You can try raising, but that costs you just as much as calling to showdown and you absolutely must fold to a 3-bet.

I just call "small pot" and fold against anything but a total LAG.

EDIT: given your position relative the field, I don't hate waiting to raise the turn at all. IF you can fold when a turn scenario like this unfolds. As you said, you aren't going to fold any high clubs with a flop raise anyway, so waiting until your equity increases after a safe turn makes sense.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:34 PM

I've found myself in this situation quite a bit lately. When suited connecters hit too early, it sucks. I raise the flop or checkraise it. I find checkraise is better. Because you always get some guy who bluffs or bets this board. I reckon you want your opponents to know you have the flush, that way most will found, even Q&amp;J may fold. BUt I do not suggest slowplaying, your hand is just too weak.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]