Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Character Flaws and how to deal with them?

I am writing this post to get an idea on how I can be more consistant, as well as to find out if other players here have or, have had similar problems.

I have lost my BR due to what I think is a lack of patience and Discipline. No doubt I have other leaks, I am not saying I dont. However, the donk really comes out in me when i get too excited or impatiant. If I play one table I go insane because I cannot stand to sit around and wait for good hands. As a result I play hands I shouldn't and lose money when I don't need to. I figured my solution to this would be to multi-table. Four was too much so I stayed at three. This worked ok for awhile but I went broke eventually. If I play poker and I am in the right mood I do fine and somtimes great. Because of flaws in my character, I cannot just turn this mood on and off or, just don't know how.

Now I have to try and rebuild a BR and am wondering what other may think is a good way for me to go about that. I cannot just come up with a BR from my normal job due to bills etc. Also I am wondering if anyone has had the same or similar problems with impatience and/or lack of dicipline, and if so how did you deal with it? I am willing to accept that I just might not be "made" for poker but I don't want to give up so easily. Know what I mean? ANY COMMENTS APPRECIATED.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Character Flaws and how to deal with them?

Try the psychology forum.

For your BR question, try the beginners forum or search the archives.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:34 AM

Play 6-max.
Hardly need any discipline at all [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 10:37 AM

Yoga?
Meditation?
Ritalin?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 AM

yo bro,

i'm sure that you are a good player. i have only been playing for a year and have just realized that i am decent at best. i have done alright with poker because of my very cautious, low stakes, and quickly scared/withdrawing small winnings. in the beginning i am weaktight at a table... then i start getting angry and a bit sad. now even worse, i'm weak passive and check call... tpgk or even draws... maybe later i get poorly aggressive. aggression that is completely unwarranted. i used to always aspire to be a poker artist and make unbelievable plays and all that. i used to think i was real good. now i am much better yet hardly think i am average at all. i have become much more aggressive, confident, and scientific. keep the emotions on hold man, especially for partypoker or any of these online things. poker is ultimately an art, but it is intially a science and is most of the time. a good friend recently talked to me about hand definition and by defining your own hand, you make the other define theirs, or whereas a player makes a weak definition, you can overdefine. in big pots, start using your advanced skills of check-raising, deception, or valuebetting to take down a big one. in high small or low midsized pots, use the science and basics to take it down. on low pots, just give it up, no point in trying to win it. maximize win, minimize loss. just don't get emotional bro. it's what i've been trying to do lately. poker is an art. when you feel that [censored] and you can hear the principles of science backing up your 'moves' or 'plays', that is poker. science first, synthesize next, and art at the final stage. take care bro and keep playing. always rationalize and play solid. discipline and science. and never ever forget OPPORTUNITY-COST. it's perhaps the most essential principle in poker with deception being the essential artisitc factor

regards,
saurabh
Old 07-28-2005, 10:58 AM

I was thinking that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 10:59 AM

I am on ritalin....maybe I should take more... hmm [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 11:00 AM

Discipline and patience are what make good poker players. For instance, last night I was down 2 buy-ins and got pissed I was down, so I could feel myself starting to play more loosely and running bluffs or betting when I normally wouldn't. I only lost about $10 more and then just hand to stop. I really didn't want to because I wanted to earn that stake back, but I knew I shouldn't.

I find that I play best when I have a long term goal and I stick to it. Poker is best played with the mindset of folding laundry. No one wants to do it because it is boring, but so is good poker. Even multi-tabling, discipline is what it's all about.

To build bankroll, set a plan, how are you going to build it. Set standards of how you are going to play and if you can't stick to them then don't play. Stop if you know you are not going to play well, take a break, come back later.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 AM

I sympathize completely with the 1-table problem. That's why I suck at live play; I just don't have the patience for it. 3-tabling works very well for me.

So at least you know you have to work on patience and discipline to improve. That's good. Try these for two discipline exercises:

1. Buy "Psychology of Poker" and read it before you put up another penny to play.

2. Develop rules for bankroll management and stick to them. For example, if you're short on cash (how short?) you don't play, period. If you don't have X buyins for a level (X = 20?), you don't play that level, period. The simpler the rules, the better, just so long as they protect you from blowing your bankroll.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:45 AM

I agree of course with the other posters that discipline and patience is a good thing. However, I think certain kinds of people are more suited to full ring - and others (like me, and perhaps you) do better at 6-max.

I dont like to multitable, because I dont get any reads. But I dont like to play a single table full ring either, because I get bored as hell, and my attention drifts to other things.

Thats why 6-max is perfect for me - at my current skill level.
I don get bored, I pay attention to the other players, and my bankroll grows bigger.

Of course, tilting at 6-max is just as bad as tilting at full ring, if not worse...