Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 06:30 AM

Default AK fold UI on the turn?

Hello all,
i think i misplayed the hand what you guys think`?

Villian is SLA-P on the other guy i had no read.
I was not sure on this hand he had an AF on the flop of 2.26 after 80 hands.
But i think i should call the flop raise and check/fold the river.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (11.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Tx all.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: AK fold UI on the turn?

I think the turn is okay. You're probably behind (your preflop cap didn't seem to faze UTG+1), but the pot isn't small, and you do have 0-6 outs. Probably the decision is close and depends partly on just how loose-aggressive Villain is preflop and how passive he is postflop. Whatever read he might have on you is also a factor (how much might he respect or not respect your preflop cap?).

The river is pretty much a crying call, but some people do play AKo/AQs like the nuts, no matter what the flop brings.

Generally speaking, I think folding the river would be better.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 AM

You need to decide on the turn whether or not you're going to see his hand. If you call the turn, you probably need to call the river. This is a situation that comes up quite often, where you're out of position with ak and someone has raised you at every opportunity. Normally on a board like this I either check call the flop, check fold the turn unimproved, or bet call the flop and check fold the turn. If I call the turn I'm usually calling the river, unless it's obvious my hand is no good.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:11 AM

Tough situation that comes up a lot. If villain only plays AA-JJ this way then you should fold.

His combos: JJ-(3x0 outs); QQ-(6X6outs); KK-(3X3outs); AA-(3x0 outs)= 3 outs. Even if we add TT but discount it to 3 combos you still don't have the odds to call.

If he would play AK like this then we need to call down. We are going to split the pot more than 1/3 of the time (it has 9 combos--there are only 15 combos of JJ-AA). That plus are drawing odds would warrant a call down. However, if your read is slightly loose--passive, I think fold the turn.