Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:42 AM

Default REVIEW: Hand 119 QTo

HAND 119 :
Preflop: Hero is CO with T, Q.

1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls

I raise here. I want the button, and I want the initiative. I want 'em bad! Only good things can happen by raising. Well, more good than bad.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: REVIEW: Hand 119 QTo

I think this deppends on what type of player UTG+1 is, if he's reasonable he's going to have you dominated a lot of times.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 AM

But if he's terrible (not too unlikely), raise it up. MicroPoster, any PT stats or real reads on UTG+1?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this deppends on what type of player UTG+1 is, if he's reasonable he's going to have you dominated a lot of times.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG+1's holding is of no concern to me when I raise here. The button, the SB and the BB are the targets, here. UTG+1 becomes a concern only after the flop, or if he LRRs.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if he's terrible (not too unlikely), raise it up. MicroPoster, any PT stats or real reads on UTG+1?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we have a read on the limper, that read should affect whether or not we continue. Not whether or not we raise here. If I'm continuing, I'm raising.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we have a read on the limper, that read should affect whether or not we continue. Not whether or not we raise here. If I'm continuing, I'm raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i raise this for a variety of reasons.
1. i want to fold out a weak A or K from SB or BB
2. i UTG1 playing scared
3. i want a free flop, and turn (perhaps) via position on the button

by raising and getting it heads up we can often takedown the pot on a flop bet alone. assuming we miss but bet the flop, a call by UTG and we check behind the turn and can fold the river UI
Old 07-28-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Wookie,

FYI, all hands from this post are from the same table, so you guys have exactly the same information that was available to me, except for results. (By the way, I think this is an argument for having results in white, so that people can develop their own reads. But then maybe that skews replies?)

I also was going to suggest making hands available in PT format, so people could import and get PT stats themselves too. Perhaps that's something we can consider for the future.

But to answer your question: villain here was very loose preflop and hasn't raised a single hand. So yes, this does seem like an ideal spot for a raise. I think I miss a lot of these isolation raises against weak players -- my PFR is still stuck ~8 or so, while many of the good players here have managed to push theirs much higher. I've noticed a lot of similar comments about other such hands in this hand review marathon.

Hey, this leak-checking idea is working! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 10:01 AM

Speaking of leak checking, is it completely spewing to fire at the river blank when two and half streets have been checked through?

I know I definitely would with two opponents, maybe not three, but I have nothing concrete to back that line up.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of leak checking, is it completely spewing to fire at the river blank when two and half streets have been checked through?

I know I definitely would with two opponents, maybe not three, but I have nothing concrete to back that line up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is of course, it depends. Post a hand. I can tell you this, however. A river bluff that comes after a checked-through flop & turn is very likely to be called by weak and moderated hands. If I'm in a position where I'm liable to pull this sort of play, I'll prefer to bet the flop & turn and check the river if I'm still UI. The opponent will usually fold on the flop or turn and if he didn't, he'll call the river anyway. It costs 1.5 BB for this line as opposed to the 1.0 BB on the river bluff, but I think it has a much higher success rate. Of course, you need to be drawing to something in order for this to make sense, and have a player read that opens the door. Multiple opponents make this difficult to impossible - this is mostly a HU line.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 AM

Unfortunately, I'm at work, so no hand posts till later, but I definitely think this is a leak for me. I'm constantly looking for places to be aggressive and if I see this much weakness my mouse is drawn to the bet button like a shark that smells blood in the water.