Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 PM

Default X-posted w/THE: 6-max bankroll and hours survey

I know things like this have likely been done in the past, but I don't think it would hurt anything to run another survey like this. I'm curious mostly about those of you who play for the better part of your income. I've recently begun to make a run at this as my sole source of income, and I'm curious about where I fit in on some things.

I'd like this to be answered by NL 6-max players only, if you don't mind, as that well help me understand a little bit better where I'm at.

So, let's have this information (I'll provide my answers):

1. Where and what limit do you play?
Full Tilt $.50/$1 NL

2. How many buy-ins are in your bankroll?
20ish. This is probably too low for my level of aggression.

3. What is your biggest downswing? Biggest upswing?
Just getting going, so mine won't be reflective of anything useful. +4 buy-ins over ~1000 hands, -3 buy-ins over ~1000 hands.

4. How many hours do you average per week?
Again, hard to answer as I'm new to this, but I played ~60 hrs last week and have 45 this week (since Friday-Tuesday).

5. What do you feel is a comfortable bankroll for your aggression level, variance, game, and limit?
I think I should probably have about 3.5-4K to be REALLY comfortable at NL100, even though the level of play is so poor that I can't imagine taking a 10-15 buy-in downswing.

Thanks for the info, gents!
Old 07-27-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: X-posted w/THE: 6-max bankroll and hours survey

1. party poker NL 100 and NL 200
2. I think that the recommended 20 buy-ins is fine, but the most i've had at NL100 is 38.
3. Biggest downswing=~8 buy-ins (i'm going through this one right now...fun times). My biggest upswing is around 17 buy-ins.
4. Right now i average about 25 hours per week, but i have a 50 hr/wk internship. When that's over i'll probably play 35-40 hours/wk.
5. I feel very comfortable playing my LAG style with 25 buy-ins. I think that this is a good number.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:04 PM

Poker is not even close to my main source of income. However, it is a nice secondary source of income. Anyways, take my answers with a grain of salt, I guess.

Party NL100 6m and NL200 6m

~20 for NL200 (but I have money in other sites for another 1K or so which I could switch over if I felt like it, plus another 500 in neteller)

Well, from just bad luck type stuff, around 4 buyins down and around 6 buyins up. But from tilt, 20 buyins down.

I won't bother with this one because I am not playing as a main source of income.

5. What do you feel is a comfortable bankroll for your aggression level, variance, game, and limit?
I feel much more comfortable with 4K at NL100 than at NL200. A 4 buyin downswing when you only have 20 buys is a considerable chunk of your bankroll. At that point, you would have to start thinking of moving down and rebuilding and I don't like thinking that I'm close to doing that. So I would say 30 buys would make me feel pretty comfortable. When I remember that I have another 1.5K lying around that I could throw into my Party account, I feel more comfortable at NL200.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:31 PM

Pokerstars 100NL 6max

38 right now

6-7 on a downswing. 5-6 on an upswing.

I like having a bigger bankroll in there so I can be more aggressive and not be worried. I was playing the 50NL 6 max with about 2.5-3K. When I'm playing with a larger portion of my bankroll on the table I play like a little girl.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:38 PM

1. Exclusively PP 100NL (6-max)

2. 40+

3. Biggest downswing (in a day) - about 1200 I guess - this is under the old structure when the blinds were 1/2 for 100 NL. My biggest downswing with the new structure is around 1000.

I had numerous 1000+ days with the old blind structure. Since the blind structure changed these have come along less frequently, but I'm still good for a 1000+ occasionally. I don't play long enough to swing up much more than 1000.

4. 20 hours per week on average. I have 88 hours in this month which is a lot for me.

5. I play very loose and very aggresive and I feel like $2000 is enough. It would be hard for me to go bust with $2000 or more although I would probably make some adjustments (variance reducing) to my play if I dropped below $1200.

Passsion
Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 PM

1. 100 NL: party, stars, absolute with frequency of play in that order.

2. Right now 28 buy-ins. I moved up when I had about 20.

3. 10 buy-ins when I first switched to 6max at the old 50xbb tables. 5 buy-ins after the switch. Don't remember the biggest upswing but I think I made about 8-10 buy-ins at the 50NL tables over a short stretch when clearing a bonus (bonus not included).

4. At my peak probably about 15-20. I have a full time job and mainly play for fun when I have time. Recently <5 as I have been playing Omaha almost exclusively.

5. I think before I move up again I am going to shoot for at least 25 maybe 30 buy-ins. I noticed when I first moved up to 100NL that I was able to play fine starting off but noticed that 1)after pushing with strong draws and missing, or 2)losing to bad beats, or 3)playing a hand poorly and stacking off, that I all of a sudden tilted much more easily and never had this problem before. This resulted in unnecessary chip spewedge. After a bit I started palying less aggressive due to not wanting to loose my stack and possibly have to drop down to 50NL. In the future I would like a little buffer so I am not worried about a few loses if I don't run well and/or play bad once moving up. I'm going start taking shots at 25 buy-ins, but probably won't move up completely until I have 30. I think that the experience of the last move up where I realized what was happening may help me avoid the pit-falls but a little larger roll will certainly help.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:08 PM

hot damn, i'm never playing the PP100NL 6max again after seeing the replies here.

it does sadden me that i dont play 6max any more. lets be honest, its a way better game than 10max and of course full ring players hate snowflakes, cuss their mothers and kick puppies.

fim
Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hot damn, i'm never playing the PP100NL 6max again after seeing the replies here.

[/ QUOTE ]
The funny thing is that I'm sure that we are all thinking the same thing right now: "How is it that I've managed to never run into a solid player, if so many 2p2ers play this game?" I guess there are just a lot of NL100 6m tables.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:37 PM

Looks like I've got Full Tilt all to myself, but that's not stopping today's spew-a-thon.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:44 PM

1-2$ six max at stars

10. I'm constantly withdrawing money so its usually hovering around 10.

biggest downswing: 6 buy ins
biggest upswing: 14 buy ins in one day

Whatever I feel like. Sometimes 0, sometimes 20. Usually not more than that.

I'm comfortable with 10 buyins but others might not be.

I'd like to warn newer players that what I consider to be comfortable will probably not be for a lot of people. I also have a lot of gamble in me and don't particularly care if I lose my bankroll (it will suck, but I'll be just fine).