Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 06:06 AM

Default The $55s are impossible (sorta long)

(Disclaimer: Skip to the second paragraph unless you wanna read my whining)

This is demoralizing. I started out at the $6s and $11s close to a year ago and I've since moved up to the $22s and the $33s. I have had pretty decent success at every level although my sample is still ridiculously small, but every time I try to take a stab at the $55s I lose. It's getting rather sad now. I win a few $33s and I say, "Why don't I try one of these $55s out, people say the play isn't that much better." I play a couple, lose, and say "nuts to that" and move back down. I've finished OOTM 18 out of 22 tourneys and every single ITM finish was a third place. I realize 22 sng's is nothing and all of you 8-tablers out there have 14 buy-in downswings in 30 minutes, but I don't like seeing my bankroll take hits like that.

Now to my actual question: Are there any real and tangible adjustments that need to be made to play the $55s? I've been keeping my eye out and searching for what to do with those extra chips, but I'm not coming up with anything substantial. Everything I find just says that it's easier when you raise in level 1 and 2 and miss the flop because you have more chips left over and that the players are slightly better.

I still can't play suited connectors early, right? Should I just "play my game"? Maybe I'm overanalyzing my miniscule sample cause I'm mad and it's late, but I can't deal with losing (it's a little problem I have). Thanks in advance to everyone who replies . . .
Old 07-27-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: The $55s are impossible (sorta long)

4-18 just isn't that bad, doesn't say anything about whether or not you're ready to play at a certain level. What does say something about it as that you're so upset about going 4-18...and the fact that you're haphazardly "stabbing" at the 55's. If you're beating the 33's consistently (over a sample set of at least 500) AND you have the bankroll for 55's, then give it a real shot - play 100 or so consistently. Then take stock of where you are.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:49 PM

The 55s are not impossible. I have a 42% ITM and 30% ROI there. I suggest you stay on the 33s until you feel real confident. Its hard to help you here without specific examples (maybe post a HH?).

Although I could be really selfish and suggest you stay there [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but I won't.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 42% ITM and 30% ROI there

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus.

how many tourneys?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:56 PM

i suggest single tabling...at least until you get a hang of where to put pressure on the table
Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus.

how many tourneys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a lot...400 or so.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:00 PM

22 tournies: you already know the answer.

Whats the point of this post?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:05 PM

Hope you can handle the downswing headed your way.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:10 PM

Given this:

[ QUOTE ]
I realize 22 sng's is nothing and all of you 8-tablers out there have 14 buy-in downswings in 30 minutes, but I don't like seeing my bankroll take hits like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this:

[ QUOTE ]
but I can't deal with losing (it's a little problem I have).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just stick to the 33s where you are comfortable and successful? I mean, it's just poker. If it bothers you this much, is it really worth it? There isn't a law that says you have to keep moving up.

I don't mean that as in insult at all, I just mean play poker to make some money and increase your happiness. If the 55s are detracting from your happiness or peace of mind, just stay away from them.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus.

how many tourneys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a lot...400 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nothing. I have a 127.3% ROI and a 75% ITM at the 55's, and my sample size is way smaller than 400, so I win.

Really, you just have to play a little more poker and a little less statistically-driven card-bingo than at the 33's, all because of the extra 200 chips. Other than having to play Levels 3 and 4 in a 55 like Level 3 in a 33, there's not much difference.