Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 12:24 PM

Default I hate when people minbet into me

What does it mean when villain makes this ludicrously small bet on the flop? I hate folding getting 14:1 and it makes it profitable for opponents to just minbet every pot hoping to pick it up. So should I take action on this flop? Or just let it go? What if we were heads up on the flop?

Party Poker $25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

SB ($33.58)
BB ($22.10)
UTG ($28.55)
MP ($12.95)
Hero ($14.45)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.25</font>, Hero folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: $3.50
Old 07-26-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: I hate when people minbet into me

for the love of god come over the top.

Or even better, flat call the flop and come over the top on the turn when he bets .25 again. lol
Old 07-26-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for the love of god come over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you generally raise any minbet like this on the flop? Or are you saying to just treat as if he checked and bet if you would have bet anyway (which in this case I would)?

[ QUOTE ]
Or even better, flat call the flop and come over the top on the turn when he bets .25 again. lol

[/ QUOTE ]
But there is another guy behind me. This gives him a very cheap look at the turn where he may pick up something.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:36 PM

the minbet is almost always a flush draw hoping to get there cheaply or second or third pair hoping to showdown cheaply. I raise this approximately 100% of the time and bet big on the turn too.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:39 PM

One of my biggest pet peeves is when it's like a 4 or 5 way pot and you're 2nd to act on the flop with 2nd pair good kicker or something..

and the dude first to act bets .25 (minbet). Calling here is mandatory but then I'm finding the two players behind us are raising and by that time the odds aren't there anymore when it comes back to you.

I hate hate hate this play but the first player to act.

Sometimes, i'll fold and the two players behind have already clicked auto-fold! UUUUGGGGGGGG!! WHY?

I think the best thing to do here is min-raise.

(Shows the opponents behind you that you are strong, yet doesn't commit you to the hand).
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my biggest pet peeves is when it's like a 4 or 5 way pot and you're 2nd to act on the flop with 2nd pair good kicker or something..

and the dude first to act bets .25 (minbet). Calling here is mandatory but then I'm finding the two players behind us are raising and by that time the odds aren't there anymore when it comes back to you.

I hate hate hate this play but the first player to act.

Sometimes, i'll fold and the two players behind have already clicked auto-fold! UUUUGGGGGGGG!! WHY?

I think the best thing to do here is min-raise.

(Shows the opponents behind you that you are strong, yet doesn't commit you to the hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding, you want to follow up his lame ass min-bet with a min-raise. Seriously the properly play with second pair trapped in between a bettor and a few people still to act is to FOLD. You are likely to get raised, your minbet is just stupid and annoying and won't scare the other people off if they have top pair.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 PM

The pot was $3.25 in this case... with a .25 bet!?

FOLD?! WHY?

I said min-re-raise in a case where it's like $1.00 and he bets .25. In this actual case though, he should raise more than min.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:59 PM

I think you pretty much have to ignore a minibet and just call most of the time when you're in position, or raise it to whatever you had planned to make it anyway. The problem is that you really only have a runner runner draw and there's still someone behind you. I fold to a minibet with others behind me and absolutely nothing. Even a gutshot, I will call, but you don't even have that. Also, I don't like the idea of raising with someone behind you. And even with no one behind you, often when you raise, even really big, the guy still calls with his draw, even though he doesn't have the odds or position. Then what? Fire away again on the turn? He'll probably call then b/c he has a flush draw and God forbid you lay that down, right? And if he hits any pair, he might just call you down regardless.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:01 PM

At this level min bet on the flop = check.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:33 PM

As others have said, for the most part treat it as a check. However, if there are any draws out there and more than 2 people in the pot, you want to either pop it up to a real bet or get out of the way, because if you just call the pot gets built some more and the draws get to hit for real cheap.

In your case, barring any individual reads, at this level I'd raise to something around $1 to try to take it down. That I've found will do the trick often enough without committing too much to the pot. Others might say that you need to bet full pot to really make a bid for it, but not at this level, too many NL25 donks just see it as a bet, they don't see it in relation to the existing pot.