Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Flop nuts with royal draw- played awfully?

Game has been great- been killing the table and showing down mostly powerful hands- not that anyone notices.
Button however is a decentish player and has been doing ok.

I feel i am right in betting the flop as i know it has been hit by someone and am wanting to reel someone in. When i reraise him to 10$ my thoughts were that i wanted to induce a push - or should i have made it 15-20$ instead? When he raise me again i cant believe he folded to my raise- i would have thought he was commited.

Should i have just called the raise to 20$ and get him in on the turn?
ps. sorry for the fishy luckbox limp that i made- i should have raised it really.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($48.32)
Hero ($119)
MP ($28.50)
CO ($46.65)
Button ($47.95)
SB ($43.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $52
Old 07-26-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Flop nuts with royal draw- played awfully?

well he was committed unless he was totally bluffing. I'd consider callin that last raise by him and letting him bluff at the turn and THEN putting him all in. There aren't too many cards that worry you here, although a heart could kill your action.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:14 PM

He obviously had two pair and was drawing to 3-4 outs against you. There's no rush to get the money in on the flop.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: ($2) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I would just push here. I don't know how anyone at NL$50 is putting in the FOURTH raise and folding to the fifth, but that's what happened here.

Never expect to see this again.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:18 PM

Definately slow down. He needs to have the board pair to win and one of his "outs" gives you the royal.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:22 PM

I literally couldnt get him to push- He said in the chat box "KQ no good?" and i believe thats what he had. I really would have hated to see another King though.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:28 PM

I would called his reraise to 20, and then led out again on the the turn. Its a weird line that confuses a lot of players. It looks like a bluff stop, which it definately is not. Is this line any good? The C/R on the turn prob wont work as villain has a good chance of checking behind after hero seems to be married to his hand.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I literally couldnt get him to push- He said in the chat box "KQ no good?" and i believe thats what he had. I really would have hated to see another King though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The board will pair up on the turn roughly 1 out of 8 times. Even if you totally give up the pot that one time when it does pair up you will still make a lot of money on those other SEVEN times when you know for sure you have the pure nuts and are drawing to nut flush. Worrying about that 1/8 probability will cost you money over the long haul.