Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 07:00 PM

Default How to beat the Gambler\'s

Lately, I have been having trouble beating the "gambler's" in the low limit games I have been playing. I usually play anywhere from 3-6 to 6-12 at Canterbury. I consider myself a fairly tight aggressive player. My problem recently has been, when I get a group 1 or group 2 hand, they keep getting run down. What I have noticed is, I keep getting beat by the players that just come to have fun, players that will call with anything, what I consider the "gambler's". I try to vary my play in different situations and positions, but lately, nothing seems to work. How can I beat these players when I can't get them to fold? It's just really frustrating to see my good hands continuosly getting beat by runner runner whatever.

Jason

"I don't know why he bothers to look at his hand, he's gonna call anyway."
Old 03-02-2003, 07:22 PM

Default Re: How to beat the Gambler\'s

I would just keep pushing them as hard as you can. Right now your good hands are getting beat, but eventually they are going to get the money.

The key is to just keep betting/raising with them because when you slow down and just start calling they are more likely to get drawn out on. Not to mention the fact that when they do hold up you want all the bets/raises in there as possible.

Everybody is going to go through times when they can't get a hand to hold up no matter what 2 cards they start out with.

I would just keep making the bets/raises that have good EV. If you don't win that particular hand it does not matter, eventually you will get the money. With that said, it still upsets me not winning a lot of the hands in a row like you mentioned. You just can't let it affect your game.

I try to vary my play in different situations and positions, but lately, nothing seems to work.

Against the "gamblers" it is not necessary to vary your play. Doing this is only costing you money.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:59 PM

Play big pairs, and AK fast, play suited cards when you can get in cheap. Don't worry about varying your play, make the play that you think is best in the long run.

Remember, that you are trying to win about one or two big bets per hour, while your variation per hour will average about 10 big bets per hour. Even if you play an 8 hour session, you will only on average be one hours variation ahead.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:51 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

"How can I beat these players when I can't get them to fold?"

in many cases you dont want them to fold. you want them to call chasing long odds. and yes, they will hit their hands at times....sometimes make a nice little run of it...

i wouldnt be trying to bluff or semibluff in these games...value bet. even your draws...

welcome to the swing of this type of game

b
Old 03-02-2003, 08:54 PM

Try to find a table with a few good players and some of these fish. While your good hand is a favorite against any one individually, if there are too many of them at your table, someone is going to draw you out.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:55 PM

Default I might suggest Lee Jones...

If you haven't already read it, Lee Jones' book Winning Low Limit Hold'em covers these games pretty extensively.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:19 PM

youre suggesting to leave? these tables are moneymakers. one of the most highly profitable texture you can play.

if he gets up, ill grab his seat

b
Old 03-02-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: I might suggest Lee Jones...

that and the loose games section of HPFAP....

b
Old 03-03-2003, 12:04 AM

How can I beat these players when I can't get them to fold?

You answered your own question with that question. You will beat them because they will have second best hands more than you will. You want players calling you down when you have the best hand.

One mistake you might be making is overplaying AK and AQ. People will call you all the way with a pocket pair.

Post specific hands. Perhap you have a leak in your game that you did not recognize.

I find more often than not I lose hands because of my own poor play, or I should not have gotten involved in the hand and I trapped myself.

I hope you turn things around.

Old 03-03-2003, 12:24 AM

Default yes Bernie, I am

A table full of idiots can be a very hard game to beat for someone who is not super experienced. When I first started out I had a lot of trouble in the games that didn't seem to have any ryhme or reason to them. When you are new, it is pretty easy for them to turn you into a super loose player. I think it is a lot easy for a beginner to win when he actually sees some of the concepts he has been reading about.