Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 01:59 PM

Default KJs board is J high

villan ia 15vp 10pfr...what is the plan for the rest of the hand and how have i done so far?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero
Old 07-25-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: KJs board is J high

Call, and c/f the turn u/i?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:03 PM

I probably would have folded preflop (after the 3-bet and cap, not the first time around). I'm not raising the flop either.

I'd call now that you're in this position and hope to improve on the turn.

Rob
Old 07-25-2005, 02:08 PM

On a very uncoordinated board, button most likely has you beat here. You won't often see such lines with 10 10, QJ, or AK or anything like that. With probably around 4 outs discounted on average, you should certainly call the flop. Capping gains little, in my opinion. On the turn, you'll be getting a little better than 10-1 (10.7-1) on a check-call in an attempt to improve on the river, which puts you right about break even if you give yourself 4 outs. If you think you'll get extra bets on the river, you may need to take a look there, too, though by then the pot is getting to the point where it'll be hard to fold the river even if your confident you're ahead.

Ultimately, my intuition tends to point to either taking a look at the turn and then folding before any big bets go in, or calling down all the way. I basically see it as a neutral EV situation on the turn where you should err toward folding the turn if you think you have little/no chance to be ahead and many of your outs might be tainted, or calling down all the way if you think you have pure outs and/or might be ahead.

This'll be pretty read dependent. Against TAG villain I don't think a turn fold line will ever be that bad getting 5.35-1 on a call down.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:09 PM

Well you can't fold that flop getting like 45:1 (Exageration)

And I fold PF when its 2 back to me. A cap means KJ is probably dominateded.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:11 PM

Fold preflop to the cap. I don't raise the flop if I get there.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:13 PM

Yuck. The pre-flop raise is marginal but not terrible. I wouldn't call two back though.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:13 PM

I wouldn't have called 2 coming back to me preflop. If I did, I definitely wouldn't raise the flop with the button to act behind me, who had shown strength preflop. Most of the time, given this action, you will be 3rd best, 2nd best at best. Someone will usually have QQ or better, if not both of them.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:15 PM

I tend to like a pre-flop raise here (...isn't this one of those classic unsettled hold'em debates that doesn't matter that much...), but I agree with the pre-flop fold. KJs plays well in large, multiway pots because of the straight/flush potentials and in a short-handed pot against cold-callers. In a short-handed pot against multiple reraisers it warrants to get the crap kicked out of it.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(...isn't this one of those classic unsettled hold'em debates that doesn't matter that much...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.