Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Push this AKo preflop?

Empire 200 NL. I have $195 and the other players involved in the hand have around the same.

I get A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button.

There is a maniac at the table. He has been raising almost every hand. This is pertinent information as obviously I wouldn't normally push AKo preflop. He is 53/14, but most of the hands I have from him are from previous sessions and his stats are much higher today.

UTG, who I don't have many hands with but who doesn't seem anything too out of line raises to $6. The next 2 players call. Folded around to maniac in late position who makes it $25. Folded to me on the button and I push.

Good play?
Old 07-24-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Push this AKo preflop?

There are a lot of definitions of maniac and giving a player this name just based on stats isnt a good idea. he could simply be having a good run of cards or trying to LAG it up so you pay him off when he has a real hand here. I dont think i ever call this AI pf. you're at best dominating him and more than likely he has a PP which make you an underdog, not a +EV move. i think I just call and go from there.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:30 PM

Against the maniac I call, but what about all those other callers? You have to wonder what's going on there. A raiser in EP who is solid. That scares me a whole bunch. Seeing the callers isn't great either, but I think you're not ahead here going to the flop, and I'd hate to have just pushed to see the original raiser flip over AA/KK.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:32 PM

He was not just having a good run of cards. He had not just raised the last 3 or 4 hands.

He was raising literally every hand.

Ryan
Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 PM

Hey Ryan

I like the move here. Obviously, the raise puts a lot of pressure on the UTG player, and if you pick up the pot preflop that would be an exceptional result for AK. The UTG raiser makes me nervous, but even if he calls, you're 30/70 versus KK and only taking slightly the worst of it against QQ (which he would probably fold.) If he has AA, then you'll just have to suckout.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:49 AM

This play is fine. Would be the only possible play if you had less money (like $100).
Old 07-25-2005, 02:57 AM

The 'sorta'(because you guys have roughly the same chips) sandwich play in action. You're basically taking the gamble that UTG doesn't have a strong hand and will lay it down since he's unsure if 'maniac' will push as well and whether he wants to put all his money on the line against two people. Would I have done it ryan, no. I'm pretty sure if UTG folds I'm being called by maniac, and unless he's a complete idiot, he has to have some sort of hand, knowing that a player raised UTG. So all in all my opinion is -EV. I'd call and see a flop since you have position.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:41 AM

having taken a few minutes to think about this, i think a call is fine if maniac will play like a maniac on the flop too. Also gives u a chance to get more information from UTG player. If you do get an opportunity to see the flop get the money in with tptk at least.

dR
Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 AM

Good push.

I'd probably raise to $75 or so myself, give myself a chance to get away from the hand if the EP raiser made a big move.

I think calling is much worse tham pushing here.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Results

Results:

UTG called with KK.
Maniac folded.

I did not suck out.
Ryan