Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Aggressive opponent plays a dangerous board passively

Villain is in my PT database and the HUD reads tight aggressive with a 27% V$PIP / 12% PFR / 2.6 total aggression post flop.

The flop has a pair and a flush draw, but the preflop raiser, who is aggressive, plays passively until the river.

Villain seems like a decent enough player. So, what is going on here by the time it gets to the river? Is this a busted flush draw (which is what I suspected when I check-raised his min-bet on the flop)? AA, KK and AQ would not play this passively? Something else?

Comments on all streets, especially my flop check-raise of his min-bet, and then my call on the turn are much appreciated.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed) converter

CO ($9)
Button ($27.70)
SB Hero ($25.50)
BB Villain ($51.10)
UTG ($25)
MP1 ($24.40)
MP2 ($27.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10. UTG posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, Hero (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB Villain raises to $1.5</font>, UTG calls $1.50, CO calls $1.50, Button folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($7.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $1</font>, UTG folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Villain calls $5.

Turn: ($19.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">(Opponent Alias) bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

River: ($21.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $10</font>,

Hero ... What do you do - or would you have even reached this point?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Results

Villain had QQ for a flopped full house and showed as much weakness as he possibly could on every street in order to (1) bait me into check-raising his $1 bets (which I did on the flop), (2) give me a chance to catch a flush or a lower full house (which I didn't), and (3) disguise his pot-ish river bet a little so that it might look like a missed draw (I got fooled here, too). I called on the river to find I was dominated on every single street.

Now that I've written the hand out, I guess it was obvious. But, how should I have played it differently. The only thing I think would have been better would have been to fold to the river bet. The rest was OK, I think, because $1 min bets at NL $25 often fold to a pot-sized check raise.

Anybody fold to the $1 flop bet? My original plan was to c/f if I missed my set, but the $1 bet seemed like too much weakness. Instead, it turned out to be bait for a trap.

Would you have seen it right away and folded for a $1 continuation bet? When he called and bet another $1 on the turn, would you have folded then? At the river, this was an easy fold that I just misread badly. At the time, however, I didn't even consider that he might have slow played a monster despite the (1) preflop raise (2) his aggressive stats (3) the paired board with one high card and (4) despite his stats, his min bet/call/min bet line on the flop and turn followed by a pot sized river that just screams monster the more I think about it.

Where would you have regonized the trap and folded?

I'm posting to see if there was a way for me to get out before the river. I'm also posting because I now admire Villain's play. I think he played this pretty well.