Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Simple pre-flop ?

I pretty much never open limp but have done so a couple times when a new player has posted. For instance UTG (poster) checks, you (UTG+1) have JTs, A5s, 55, etc.. Does this seem reasonable or should you raise these with extra money in the pot with a random hand? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Simple pre-flop ?

I raise every time but I think its reasonable to limp with these hands if the table is super-loose.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Simple pre-flop ?

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much never open limp but have done so a couple times when a new player has posted. For instance UTG (poster) checks, you (UTG+1) have JTs, A5s, 55, etc.. Does this seem reasonable or should you raise these with extra money in the pot with a random hand? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]
The more money there is in the starting pot the more hands you should play because the prize is more worth taking risks to win. This stems from basic poker theory. The extreme cases are 1) an empty pot where you would only play if you thought your opponents were "greater fools" who would lose money through poor play and 2) a special million-dollar pot that you would play no-fold'em style to the end.

So the extra blinds should loosen up your play.

They should also incline you to make close raise/call decisions in favor of just calling. This assumes you are at a normal table where players call too many raises. The extra money and live blinds will make it much harder to win preflop or even get heads up. That takes away much of the incentive to raise to try and force people out.

The other reason to raise preflop is value. But these marginal extra hands we play don't offer value or they wouldn't be marginal. We are playing them in hopes of capturing an equity share of the blind money in the pot. It's no different than calling with a gutshot because the pot is big. You're not putting money in for value. It's just something you have to do to remain eligible for the money that's already in the pot. The less you can pay for your weak draw the better. Preflop we call this idea "seeing the flop cheaply".