Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 02:40 PM

Default The wtfsvi thread. (Combating long term tilt.)

I've been on tilt for a month or so now, and it sucks. I don't know if tilt is the correct term, it might be I'm going through the fase where I'm too LAG and think I'm better than I am. (Was it Ray Zee that talked about this? You've been through something similar at least iirc, theworstplayer?) Anyway, I play bad and it has to stop. (I tried this as a fix, but to stop playing is hardly a long term solution. I haven't been able to follow through with that "challenge" anyway, especially not the "I won't post much"-part ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), but I've played much less than normal and I've had a fun summer, so I'm good.)

The tilting had allready started before I played the NL$25-$1000 challenge, but I somehow managed to get my act together while I did that. (But I was still tilting away money playing careless NL$100 6max in between the challenge sessions.) Even though I ran extremely well through the challenge, the winning was not entirely caused by that. I also played well, and I would be quite happy if I could play that well all the time. This thread is an effort to make that happen.

I believe that the fact I had to post my stats really helped me focus, so I'm going to try to recreate that focus by posting how I've done after every week of play. (Kinda like theredpill, only he posts after every hand). I'll include my stats for the week, some key hands and stuff like that. (It might sound strange that the fact that some strangers in an internet forum will see my bad play is stronger motivation for not making it than winning/keeping my money, but remember that both of the motivations will pull together (and sadly for my poker game, I care too little about money and probably too much about my ego).

I'll also start on a really strict bankroll management. I'm going to cash out of EP so that I'm left with $1000 for NL$100. If it drops to $500, I'll drop to NL$50 and if it drops to $250 I'll drop to NL$25. Strictly no shots at the next level before I have ten buyins.

I think that this, in addition to helping me, could be helpful (mostly for new players) and maybe interesting for others as well. If anybody has thoughts or suggestions, or wants to tell me to not clog up the forum with my worthless drivel every week, please chime in. I think I'll post in this thread though, to keep the clogging to a minimum.

wtfsvi
Old 07-24-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: The wtfsvi thread. (Combating long term tilt.)

i have run into similiar periods of "going bad" and it really sucks. i think u r on the right track though, for me i needed time off and to completely space myself from the game(which sucked even more). when i came back i found goals to be even more important and following through with them more rewarding. the only thing i question is running the short BR (unless this is part of the challenge)if u have history or tilting, a short roll may be both stressful and harp on your game. id like to hear how far u get on this but i think i would beat the 100 till i had like 15 buy-ins and drop if i lost 5 this way u wont be all over the board. GOOD LUCK
Old 07-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Yeah, I had some terrible patches. Just try to refocus. The funniest thing for me was that I always heard all these stupid pro athletes after having a great game say "I didn't really try that hard. I didn't force it. I just let the game come to me." and I always thought it was total bullcrap and what the hell are they talking about. But that really IS how I got over my prolonged tilt. I just realised that I am going to get the same number of good cards as everyone else, the same number of bad beats as everyone else, etc. I should just play my cards and play them well and good things will happen. And I did and they did. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should just play my cards and play them well and good things will happen. And I did and they did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Don't force anything is good advice. And it's real simplistic, but I am always reminding myself:

Play good cards well.
Make good decisions with good cards.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been on tilt for a month or so now, and it sucks. I don't know if tilt is the correct term, it might be I'm going through the fase where I'm too LAG and think I'm better than I am. (Was it Ray Zee that talked about this? You've been through something similar at least iirc, theworstplayer?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been through this; I know exactly what you mean. Making a lot of calls to "outplay someone postflop", giving yourself imaginary implied odds, making low percentage bluffs.

This might be different for you, but I've experienced that phenomenon the most when I'm playing to try to earn money, as opposed to just sitting down to play some good poker. In a low-stakes game or one with a lot of noticably bad players, I'll decide that I deserve all of the money on the table because I'm better than most of the people there, which ironically makes me play poorly.

[ QUOTE ]
If anybody has thoughts or suggestions, or wants to tell me to not clog up the forum with my worthless drivel every week, please chime in. I think I'll post in this thread though, to keep the clogging to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for it, man. Regaining your focus is an important part of playing good poker. Keep us posted. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Do you play mostly 6 max? If so, you could try 10 handed for a while. It doesn't require good postflop skills or your 'A' game and is almost as profitable as 6max. With your experience level you'll be back making money in no time.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:13 PM

be more generous with your bankroll/stakes...20 buyins should be good.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Week 1

Rakeback ticked into my neteller account sunday morning and fixed the cashflow problems. Sorry again about that, I wasn't thinking clearly.

I've only been playing since sunday, so it hasn't been a week yet, but I'm going to post these every monday/tuesday or so I think. It will be best if the week ends with the weekend, for several reasons.

Anyway, I'm back on my game and all is good. I'm really focusing in another way when I know I have to show it to someone.

Here's a hand that made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I should probably have just let it go preflop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($40.50)
Hero ($358.66)
Button ($69.55)
SB ($104.03)
BB ($29.22)
UTG ($168.90)

UTG/villain is good as far as I can see. Might even be very good, I'm not sure. He's really aggressive postflop, preflop stats 30/10. Plays tight in EP. My table image is fairly loose and very aggressive. Villain has probably noticed that I have a clue if he's as good as I think, but he probably isn't.

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3.50, Button calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($12) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $11.4</font>, Hero calls $11.40, Button folds.

Turn: ($34.80) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $26.95</font>, Hero calls $26.95.

River: ($88.70) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $45.95</font>, Hero calls $45.95.

Final Pot: $180.60
Old 08-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Well, I allready have 20 buyins. Five in NL$100, five in NL$50 and ten in NL$25.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Week 1

I think you were OK to call the flop looking for a turn weak bet or check from villain, and probably the turn too with a lot of outs, but the river looks like a fold. What did you put him on to call that river bet?