Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Hand Review 38, T9

- - - HAND 38 - - -
PreFlop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG calls, 4 folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks,

Flop: (4.00 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks,

Turn: (2.00 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB bets, Hero folds, UTG folds, Button folds,

Final Pot: 2.00 BB

I know this is probably pretty close here, but I just don't see this fold...

I think you at least have to call here. SB could be betting any of the pair from the flop after being checked through, a weaker flush draw, or even just a T. I'm even thinking of raising here to represent a slow played flush. Perhaps you'll knock out T with better kicker or better 1 to a flush draw. On second thought, given the size of the pot, I think a call is your best play.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Hand Review 38, T9

You have top pair with a mediocre kicker on a scary board and the pot is small.

Although the flop was checked through, when SB bets he could have a variety of hands such as a made flush,better flush draw,straight draw,better top pair or maybe even 2 pair.

You are being offered 3:1 to call (with the possibility of further bets on the river), but there are still 2 players yet to act behind you. If you call you can still very easily already be behind or drawn out on.

So I dont think that a fold was a terrible decision in this hand, and wouldnt regard this fold as being part of a leak of folding too many hands. To continue here I would really want the pot to be a lot bigger.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:38 PM

I agree that the pot is just too small here. Although I think it could have been made larger with a flop bet. The flop is scary, but it is scary for everyone!

I think a flop bet here let's you know where you stand. If there are lots of callers, be careful someone is probably looming with a big hand or big draw. You might even take down the pot on a flop bet (although that is unlikely). In any case, a flop bet builds the pot and lets you continue on 4th street.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:14 PM

Bet the flop to know where you stand? I can tell you where hero stands on this flop without betting: he's behind! Ten high on a board with 3 to a straight flush ain't going to cut it. Additionally, a bet is not going to take this pot down. It's 4 ways, and respectable single clubs are with you until the river. Lastly, the pot is small. It's not worth bluffing at. I'd probably check/fold this flop.

The turn, though, is much more interesting. You're getting 3:1 on calling, 2:1 on calling down, and I think a reasonable estimation of the time hero is ahead here is 33% or better. I think SB is taking a stab with a lower pair, a lower PP, a weaker T, a good lone club, or a combination of the above often enough. I think raising, though is too much in this small pot. Our hand is already protected against overcards, since they would be getting 4:1 on the call: painfully short on odds. I don't think a raise will fold better hands often enough to be worth it. I think I call this down, and I don't think there's any river card that would make me want to fold. The question is, then, what to do if SB checks the river? What river cards would we bet, and what would we check behnd?
Old 07-24-2005, 04:03 PM

This is the kind of fold i wish i made more of.

I think the key here is that the pot is extremely small and we have two players yet to act behind us. what if we just call the turn, then one of the other two behind us raise then we've got to lay it down right there?

When i first read the hand my first instinct was to call or raise but i think that was influenced by the fact that i read the other 2 behind me folded. I'm not that interested to find out if the sb was bluffing in a pot that only has 3BB in it.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:51 PM

If you want to call this hand down, why not raise the turn? You'll probably fold anyone behind you (that doesn't have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], you can fold to a SB 3-bet, and you can get a free showdown if you choose to take it. Costs the same as calling down.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:02 PM

If we just call, what hands are getting proper outs to call? Not overcards, not gutshots, not lower pairs.