Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Back to back A9s hands that got me in trouble

Let me preface this by saying I'm becoming more & more convinced this really isn't for me, having blown all my bonus money thus far + almost 25% of the money that was actually mine to begin with. At one point I was playing $0.50/$1.00 (having started at $0.10/$0.25 on Paradise), now I'm about ready to drop down yet again.

My typical session runs something like this, I'll go up a decent amount (10-15 BB maybe) & then proceed to blow everything on stupid hands like this, & end up down for the rest of the session. These two hands were essentially back to back (with one folded hand in between I think), & took me from a mildly profitable session at a table that was breaking up to very unprofitable.

Hand #1:

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

And #2:

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (7.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 9.20 BB

Hand #1 villain had AQ, hand #2 it was AK.

My thoughts on it, probably way off base:

Hand #1: Pointless to be so aggressive with trips since:

1) It's obvious he has the 4th A and
2) Odds are we're just going to split the pot, unless one of us makes our boat (which he did) or
3) Worst case he's already got his boat

Hand #2: Way too much confidence in a 9 kicker holding up if he doesn't have an Ace, though him backing off made me think he didn't have one (again probably due to my aggression).

Any ideas what the heck my problem is?

Viper GTS
Old 07-23-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Back to back A9s hands that got me in trouble

Hand one: Raise this preflop. It's not close. I don't cap the turn either, just call down the 3 bet. The ace may have helped him more than it did you.

I like how you played hand 2. I might have check raised the flop with a read.

Variance sucks. If you are ready for a break from poker take one.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Back to back A9s hands that got me in trouble

Hand #1: On the turn, its hard to see what he might be three betting that you're ahead of. (Maybe if he's aggressive and has 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], maybe) I think I might either just call the bet on the turn or at least, not cap it there.

Hand #2: Fold preflop. Hands like A9s get there value from two sources, high card strength (the ace) against a small number of opponents who call with weak cards, and nut flush strength against a big field. With a raise in front of you and no other callers, you probably are either a little behind (a pair) or way behind (a better ace). And with no other callers you are not getting odds on the draw.

-z