Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Default My First Ever 100-200 Commerce Hand

Last night it's 4 in the morning and i decide cuz i'm up 2gs at 40-80 why not take a shot at the 100-200. Someone just came from that game and said it had 4 bad players, but he was done for the night so he left.

I sit down with only 3600 because i just lost a 28BB pot with KK at the 40 and have to wait 2 hands. I post in the CO.

I get 69o in the cutoff. MP1 limps, hijack raises (mid forties asian who tries to look mid thirties and is kinda pulling it off aggressive dealer abuser), I call, SB calls (check raised TT on a flop of A74 and bet it the whole way, even on the river which had a 4 flush, and the asian lady called him with 2 pair and then yelled at the dealer for making her scared on the river even though she won.) BB calls (very tall white guy with a shaved head and he wears sunglasses) MP1 calls.

Flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Lady bets, everyone calls except MP1.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, Lady bets, I call, SB calls, BB folds

River is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, Lady gets really pissed and calls, Hero ???

My main question is my flop and turn calls, should they have been raises? This lady didn't look like the type that would get scared, and of the two hands i saw, she was involved in both, won both, and made a nice value raise on the turn in one of them.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: My First Ever 100-200 Commerce Hand

If you were going to find a raise (semi-bluff, free card), I think it's on the flop. However, on a board like that, I imagine there's a high likelihood that the lady will 3-bet with any legitimate hand.

The turn 7 is a good card for you, but I don't think it's enough to semi-bluff with. A club or spade flush draw, a 4, and probably not even top pair will fold. Couple that with only having 4 clean outs and a smattering of dirty ones, I don't think you have enough chance to improve to make this play.

Of course, there's fold equity, but if the lady calls your turn raise, I think she's showing down her hand. And I just can't see you winning this right on the turn.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night it's 4 in the morning and i decide cuz i'm up 2gs at 40-80 why not take a shot at the 100-200. Someone just came from that game and said it had 4 bad players, but he was done for the night so he left.

I sit down with only 3600 because i just lost a 28BB pot with KK at the 40 and have to wait 2 hands. I post in the CO.

I get 69o in the cutoff. MP1 limps, hijack raises (mid forties asian who tries to look mid thirties and is kinda pulling it off aggressive dealer abuser), I call, SB calls (check raised TT on a flop of A74 and bet it the whole way, even on the river which had a 4 flush, and the asian lady called him with 2 pair and then yelled at the dealer for making her scared on the river even though she won.) BB calls (very tall white guy with a shaved head and he wears sunglasses) MP1 calls.

Flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Lady bets, everyone calls except MP1.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, Lady bets, I call, SB calls, BB folds

River is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, Lady gets really pissed and calls, Hero ???

My main question is my flop and turn calls, should they have been raises? This lady didn't look like the type that would get scared, and of the two hands i saw, she was involved in both, won both, and made a nice value raise on the turn in one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can put a raise in at any point until you make a hand with showdown value. The lady has clearly shown she is going to see the river. Basically, only hand you are going to get her off of is a no pair hand... but that may not work either b/c it probably has an A in it... so she will continue hoping to make her wheel.

Basically, until you make your hand b/c she has shown no ability to lay down a hand. The only real question is whether you can find a raise on the end. It really looks like a great place to put in a value raise. You definitely have her beat. Only the SB is a worry... he could have an A-x of clubs holding and flopped a st8 draw and then turn a club draw. However, in the long run... I think you have to put in a raise on end!!

Hope you won the hand!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:56 PM

i dont understand the preflop call. looks really bad to me.

i definitely raise the river. a smaller straight is just as likely as a flush and the guy could also have a twopair type hand. 2 players in the pot, your hand is worth raising.

i dont like raising the turn, no reason to eliminate the other guys and i doubt the lady is going anywhere.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: My First Ever 100-200 Commerce Hand (Am I Missing Something?)

[ QUOTE ]
I post in the CO... I get 69o in the cutoff... Hijack raises... I call... Flop is 5s 3c 2s... SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Lady bets, everyone calls except MP1...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm missing something. I just spent the last four years going from the 1-2 tables to the 20-40 tables (learning & building a bankroll).

Just exactly why did you call with 69o before the flop?

Why did you call a bet on the flop?

As for the suck out on the river - raise away - you have definately established your table image at that point.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm too tight or too math inclined. If so, explain why this was good poker.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand the preflop call. looks really bad to me.

i definitely raise the river. a smaller straight is just as likely as a flush and the guy could also have a twopair type hand. 2 players in the pot, your hand is worth raising.

i dont like raising the turn, no reason to eliminate the other guys and i doubt the lady is going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I don't like preflop either.

On the river the only smaller straights were already there on the turn, so I think we can rule them out. I'm just calling the river.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:21 PM

Playing on short money, gotta get lucky. Might as well be the first hand.

I would raise the river. Flush is unlikely.

Call on turn is correct.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 AM

Fold preflop, call flop, call turn, raise river (while doing/saying something crazy).

Were you the youngest guy in the game?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop, call flop, call turn, raise river (while doing/saying something crazy).

Were you the youngest guy in the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you putting the bettor on that you think a raise is best on the river? You've gotta be good most of the time, especially since the guy will likely 3bet a flush and you can't expect to get a call out of the lady even for one more bet.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:56 AM

i raised the river, SB called, lady folded showing a set.

i said "straight" and SB showed a Q high flush. (Q2 clubs)

meh