Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 06:38 PM

Default call with KK to price people out later?

Live 20-40. Usual mix of solid players and LAGS. As always seems to be the case, once every couple hours a huge pot develops and everyone wants to be a part of it. And so it began...

TAG1 raises UTG, tough tricky player calls, donator calls, couple folds, solid player in the CO 3 bets... I look down at two black kings on the button and cap it. SB folds, BB calls, and everyone else has already dutifully put the requisite 4 bets out. 6 people to the flop, 24.5 sb's and counting.

Now my question, does anyone ever sacrifice the value/equity cap in order to allow someone else to maintain the lead so that you can price people out with a raise later?

By putting in the last word pre-flop with my cap, if it gets checked to me (as it did), everyone can (and did)correctly call my single bet. Same with the turn.

Had I just called, and were I to think KK was still good, a well timed turn raise would force hands with few outs to make a mistake in calling. I digress from the actual hand, because my intention is not to post a bad beat.

Thoughts?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: call with KK to price people out later?

Calling can be OK. Suppose youre pretty sure that at least one raiser has Ax then waiting to see if an ace flops makes sense.

In the scenario above where you capped it pre-flop you don't have to bet the flop if it's checked to you. If it's a non scary board then you could check too and throw them into confusion. Theyre all calling anyway for one single flop bet so it's not so crazy to check.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM

You have a ton of equity pre-flop, cap it.

If you just call CO's 3-bet, you will feel pretty silly if he checks the flop since you won't have gotten your money in pre-flop, and still can't protect your hand post flop.

If CO has AK or something, he probably won't bet with such a large field on the flop unless he also flops a big draw.

Just keep betting/raising your hand until you have reason to believe that you are behind.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling can be OK. Suppose youre pretty sure that at least one raiser has Ax then waiting to see if an ace flops makes sense.

In the scenario above where you capped it pre-flop you don't have to bet the flop if it's checked to you. If it's a non scary board then you could check too and throw them into confusion. Theyre all calling anyway for one single flop bet so it's not so crazy to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

No and no. Get bets in while you are a favorite. Don't give free cards.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:07 PM

I understand the equity argument, but since the pot has already gotten so large, I'm also going to try to find the best way to try to win it.

It's true that I don't know where bets are going to come post-flop, but with position and without having taken the lead, there is at least a reasonable prospect of being able to face some of the field with having to call two bets cold later on in the hand. No one is folding to my preflop cap (Yes, I know that's not the point of the cap).

If I can find a way to eliminate people and perserve a relatively big pot than I'd gladly give up the extra 6 sb's preflop.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I can find a way to eliminate people and perserve a relatively big pot than I'd gladly give up the extra 6 sb's preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is painful.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By putting in the last word pre-flop with my cap, if it gets checked to me (as it did), everyone can (and did)correctly call my single bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You miss times when TPGK or lesser overpair can bet onto you on flop or even c/r you. This allow you to protect your hand better decent amount of time.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:59 PM

I think normally the cap bet is better but in this case I wouldn't cap as the 3 bet came from the cutoff and your on the button. IF the LAG was the cuffoff, this would be much easier becuase you know he will bet and you can raise him to shut out the field. If your sure the solid cutoff will bet the flop and turn, then I wouldn't cap.