Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Name the hands (1/2 NL 6-max)

Party 1/2 6-max; button and BB are the relevant parties. Button has been openraising a lot from LP and then taking pots down on the flop. He's not shown down many hands from this situation. BB hasn't been defending his blinds much and generally has been playing tight. BB has $200 (he's topping off every hand), button has him covered with something like $350. Neither player is a donkey.

Preflop: Folded around to button, who opens for $6. SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($13 less rake)

BB bets $10, button pauses for a while, then calls.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($33 less rake)

BB bets $25, button pauses a long time, then folds.

Maybe this isn't interesting at all, but I had a hard time putting either player on a hand with any certainty. What do two non-idiots play this way?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Name the hands (1/2 NL 6-max)

BB=set, BN=overpair. At least they each took a good potential line for those two holdings.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:47 AM

You give them that much credit? I would think BB=AT-JT or something similar while button=missed overcards. I think any overpair would have raised that flop
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 AM

I'd put the button on something like AK, AQ, or KQ here. I'd expect him to likely to have two big cards in order to call the flop bet. I just don't think he would call $10 with nothing, so maybe he was trying to hit an overcard or hit an inside straight draw. If he's smart, he knows that the BB has been folding and would likely only lead out with a hand that's got him beat. I would also maybe add to that list KJ as a possibility. However, I'd say he definitely doesn't have QJ, as I would expect some aggression and a big reraise with that.

The BB is much harder. If he is tight you have to put him on a premium hand here because he probably knows he is OOP against an aggressive player. But he might also be calling with suited connectors, it really depends on how much you see the BB defend his blinds. At any rate, I'd have to say that the BB only has one pair as I would think he would check here knowing the button would bet with two pair or a set. He might bet out like this with a draw. So you can maybe put the BB on QJ or AT or maybe something like JTs or 98s. A lot of this also depends on whether the BB is weak-tight or more TAG. He folds the blinds a lot, but would he bet out a draw heads up against an aggressive opponent? Anyway, that's my stab.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of this also depends on whether the BB is weak-tight or more TAG. He folds the blinds a lot, but would he bet out a draw heads up against an aggressive opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an important point that I should've included. When BB has played hands, he's been raising and folding more than calling (so more TAG than weak/tight). He has not, however, been defending his big blind from late position raises. He is certainly capable of betting a draw on the flop but I don't recall him showing down any uncompleted draws that he bet again on the turn (though that isn't to say he hasn't done it; it just hasn't gotten to showdown).
Old 07-21-2005, 09:59 AM

button: KQ (gut-shot and overs)

BB: Overpair (KK or AA)
Old 07-21-2005, 10:39 AM

AT vs either A9 or K9s
Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 AM

BB : QQ.

Button : JT.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 AM

button: KJ or KQ of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB: AA-66, TPxK, 2PxK, occasional AK

fim
Old 07-21-2005, 11:55 AM

Yeah I sais KQ for button for the gutshot but KJ is equally likely with his background. It's still a gutshot with two overs.