Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Advice needed - Limit selection

I started playing Poker online on July 04 and in 12 months I have been experimenting playing limits from $1/$2 to $5/$10. I recorded about 60k hands (about 80% on GBP1/2 limit) with a profit of 2.2BB/100 (only occasionally multitabling - and never more than 2 tables).

I thought what the hell I feel i am a winning player so i bought a new car (a good one) and I plan to have my poker game finance the car. So I need for the next 50 months, starting from August to earn $960 every month for the car.

This month I started experimenting with the micro limits and multitabling. I found out that i can easily play 4 tables at GBP 0.25/0.50 limit and so far in 10K hands my profit is about 9.5BB/100 (multitabling - 4 tables).

The question is .....

In order to earn the $960 per month that I need (and more if possible) should i

a) stick to GBP 0.25/0.50?

with 5hrs avg per day and 35 hands avg per hour the projection for every month is 5hrs * 4tables * 30 days = 600hrs

600 * 35 hands = 21.000 hands * 9BB/100 = 1890BB = GBP945 = about $1600 per month

or b) should i try to move in higher limits? (more ups and downs but my play will improve)
Old 07-21-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Advice needed - Limit selection

First of all, I'm pretty sure you can't make 9.5BB/100, multitabling. Read the FAQ
Secondly, where do you play that multitabling get you 35 hands per hour? If I 4 table stars, I see about 250 per hour. I'd rethink my calculations if I were you.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought what the hell I feel i am a winning player so i bought a new car (a good one) and I plan to have my poker game finance the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading after this point.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I thought what the hell I feel i am a winning player so i bought a new car (a good one) and I plan to have my poker game finance the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 AM

Drunkhamster .... I am playing on Crypto sites... the average of the hands per hour in the micro limits 10 seated tables is 35-40

Perhaps the 10K sample in these limits is too small but i really have 9.5BB/100 with 4-tabling, I guess in a month from now the sample will be safer (about 35K hands).

adsman.... what's wrong with setting a target and buying something for my self from poker earnings? (I dont rely on poker for my daily life... I have a main job)
Old 07-21-2005, 08:14 AM

The difference is buying something vs. having a huge debt out on your head for something. If he can afford that payment without poker then there are no worries. If poker is how he's making his ends meet to have this car then that is going to be a problem when variance decides to stop by and say 'Hi!'. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone sustaining 9.5BB/100 for anything close to 50 months, and I certainly wouldn't be betting on holding that pace for any length of time. If he can't afford that car payment without poker then I'd serious suggest selling it sooner so you don't get so far upside down on it.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good decision. I actually read the rest of the post and now I have to live the consequences. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I started playing Poker online on July 04 and in 12 months I have been experimenting playing limits from $1/$2 to $5/$10. I recorded about 60k hands (about 80% on GBP1/2 limit) with a profit of 2.2BB/100 (only occasionally multitabling - and never more than 2 tables).

I thought what the hell I feel i am a winning player so i bought a new car (a good one) and I plan to have my poker game finance the car. So I need for the next 50 months, starting from August to earn $960 every month for the car.

This month I started experimenting with the micro limits and multitabling. I found out that i can easily play 4 tables at GBP 0.25/0.50 limit and so far in 10K hands my profit is about 9.5BB/100 (multitabling - 4 tables).

The question is .....

In order to earn the $960 per month that I need (and more if possible) should i

a) stick to GBP 0.25/0.50?

with 5hrs avg per day and 35 hands avg per hour the projection for every month is 5hrs * 4tables * 30 days = 600hrs

600 * 35 hands = 21.000 hands * 9BB/100 = 1890BB = GBP945 = about $1600 per month

or b) should i try to move in higher limits? (more ups and downs but my play will improve)

[/ QUOTE ]

please don't take this the wrong way, i'll give you some serious advice.

first, given the information you provided, no one can give you any pertinent advice.

second, how old are you? your post displays what appears to be, for lack of a better word, severe immaturity.

third - you need a better understanding of how to approach earning money at poker.

fourth - no one can fault you for wanting to spend your winnings on whatever you wish. that's up to you, obviously. however, based on your post, i would recommend that you sell the car. and if you want a car, buy it with your winnings in cash.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and if you want a car, buy it with your winnings in cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh how sweet would that be!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 AM

Also, even playing an average of 5 hrs per day sounds a lot, especially after coming home from your main job. I like playing poker online, but there's just some days I can't be bothered due to tiredness, being stressed out, whatever and I certainly couldn't dedicate myself to 35 hours a week playing poker. I'm sure i have read other posts in these fora which say that it's not a good idea to set yourself a target for hours played every week, as if you miss that target, you'll have it in your head that you will need to catch up and this won't necessarily mean you're playing the best you can.