Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Anyone ever been berated for agressive play?

This happened a while back but I just thought of it again recently.

I was playing at the Hollywood Park $2/$4 fish market, and was playing quite LAG-ish, as I would be inclined to do in any eight-to-a-flop game. As I assume live $2/$4 is apt to be, the game was filled who WOULD NOT bet out or raise unless they had completely made their hand. I was one of three people raising preflop, and the only one doing it w/o aces or kings. I was capping flops with things like middle pair and nut flush draw (together I mean), considering there was four or five calling it.

Well, at first I guess people thought that I was stupid or crazy, as they were saying things like "I know you don't have a hand" and "you're gonna go broke betting like that." I would generally just shrug my shoulders and smile, maybe give a "we'll see" or whatever. Normally I figured these people wouldn't be sharp enough to pick up on betting patterns, but I stood out so obviously.

Anyway, everything was cool for about 2 hours, the passing comments continued, etc. etc...then I went on a three-hand run where I hit a set, an OESD, and a flush draw, building huge pots for all three and was all of a sudden up like $250. Now, anyone skilled would know that I just played sound poker and built pots with draws that happened to hit. Well, the HP massive didn't seem to take to it.

Next thing I know I'm getting LOTS of looks - one guy calls his boy over from another table and is like "I was winning but this MF'er who doesn't know what he's doing keeps getting lucky, raising when he doesn't have SH*T", and so on and so forth. I noticed some glares heading my way as well. Then about 3 hands later it got worse - I check raised holding QJs on a 10-9-2 rainbow flop. One guy at the table is like "man I KNOW you ain't got nothing - who do you think you're fooling?" and reraised me. I put him on a set, and promptly folded when the turn paired the deuce on the board. sure enough, fishies called him down and my read was correct as he showed 99. He wasn't done running his mouth though, he was saying things like "you're not gonna get lucky against me playing like some dumb ass - stop trying that at this table cause you're going to get caught." Not wanting the table to turn into a dick-measuring contest, I decided to try and explain that I play that way because if I get my card the pot is built up. Another woman whose VPIP may have been 100 chimes in with "look I know any two cards can hit, but betting with nothing is plain stupid."

I was ready to leave anyway, so at that point, rather than have the table ganging up on me with hostility, I decided I should get outta there. On my way out, I got a nice "learn how to play before you come back" - even though I left up $200!!

I mean, I've played in games where fish don't understand or question my style of play, but never one where they berate it. Weird.

This kinda thing ever happened to anyone? Where aggro play made you the enemy?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever been berated for agressive play?

You're always going to be the "enemy" when you're taking your opponents money. Sounds like you're frustrating them and putting some folks on tilt by playing aggressively - good job. Shrug off the comments and be classy. Don't fire back with smart ass comments yourself. You're taking their money after all, so who gets the last laugh?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're always going to be the "enemy" when you're taking your opponents money. Sounds like you're frustrating them and putting some folks on tilt by playing aggressively - good job. Shrug off the comments and be classy. Don't fire back with smart ass comments yourself. You're taking their money after all, so who gets the last laugh?

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said. be classy (it sounds like you were) and shrug off their comments. people who lose aren't happy people [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 08:02 AM

LOL!

2/4 players who are grumpy since you hit reasonable draws?

That's funny, it's hard to beat 2/4 though consistently with the rake, I smell jealously and table on TILT.

2/4 made me grumpy, never again!

Oh and NO I have never had a table get on my case about my play.

I drove a table in a tournament once crazy though, but I was hitting everything including cracking someone with my AQ when they held AK.

>TW<
Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 AM

Some old-fogey regulars just like their regular weak-passive type game and expect that everyone else wants to play that way because it's supposedly 'correct' in their universe.

You seem to have REALLY found some nasty folk though.
No matter whether you are playing well or like a complete donk it is simply rude and stupid to say 'learn to play before you come back.'
Interesting experience.

I've had some stuff like that happen online though. "Why do you keep raising before the flop like that? You don't even know what cards are going to come yet."
"Thanks for raising and re-raising with just a flush-draw idiot." (6-way pot and I was drawing to the nuts).
Stuff like that.
Also (just before they would leave) "Sorry guys....but Bob is just ruining the game with all his stupid raising. Hope you're proud of yourself for playing like an idiot Bob!"

Also have heard the comment along the lines of "why don't you just play a higher limit if you want that much action."
implying that by always raising on a 5/10 table that I am really just a 10/20 type player who is 'playing down a level' just for kicks perhaps.

Live play...I sat at a 1-5 7-card stud game while waiting for a hold-em seat.
One lady was all over me EVERY time I raised (and I was one of the few who would do that) because she wanted to 'play as many hands as possible because of the bad-beat jackpot but she isn't able to when it's always raised like that.'
"You're here to play for the jackpot too right?"
She was totally jackpot obsessed and was REALLY getting mad that I kept raising future hands after that.
I just pretended like I didn't hear her (even though it was obviously impossible not to).
Everyone else seemed to be playing the jackpot-way that she wanted them to interestingly enough.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check raised holding QJs on a 10-9-2 rainbow flop. One guy at the table is like "man I KNOW you ain't got nothing - who do you think you're fooling?" and reraised me. I put him on a set, and promptly folded when the turn paired the deuce on the board. sure enough, fishies called him down and my read was correct as he showed 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get too cocky -- T9 is a possibility here, so this was a bad fold. People will criticize your play at every level. Ignore it.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On my way out, I got a nice "learn how to play before you come back" - even though I left up $200!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct response:
"I'll go sign up for lessons. Can I borrow $20 for them?

<look at chips>

Oh, nevermind."
Old 07-21-2005, 08:31 AM

I have found that old people at low limit tables (3/6) really don't like being check raised. I would check raise almost every time I felt I had a better hand, and the guy two to my left would get so pissed everytime I check raised, call it everytime, and show his middle pair.

Then one time I did it and the guy beat me and some old guy across the table starting going on about how I deserved it for check raising all the time and that shouldn't be part of the game.

All in all, I won a lot more with my check raises then I lost, so I don't really care, but thats how they like to play it.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing at the Hollywood Park $2/$4 fish market

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, see, right there's your problem. In my experience low-limit HP tables seem to be populated by people who have no interest in actually having fun. Bitching at other players, bitching at the dealers, bitching at the dealers for bitching at other players, etc all seem to not only be commonplace but standard.

(Hey, you got the entire table on tilt without even trying -- sounds like you won in more ways than one to me.)
Old 07-21-2005, 09:09 AM

A lovely situation if you can find it. Just play the role of the guy they think you are with your words and your actions. "Wow, I sure am getting lucky today!" and "I just like to gamble" and "I won this money playing roulette so I don't care if I lose it to you nice folks!"