Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 PM

Default AA Line Check

This is a hand from the early going of a 30NL on Stars. I'm newly arrived to this table, so no reads on the villain and I'm sure the same is true for him. I originally put him on a 7 with no kicker or small PP after the flop call and checked the turn to see if he would stack off against me. I didn't see any reason to raise as there weren't any scary river cards for me other than the 7 (oops.) I winced as I called here -- does anyone hate this line?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

SB (t2255)
BB (t2290)
UTG (t1605)
UTG+1 (t2275)
MP1 (t925)
Hero (t2780)
MP3 (t2260)
CO (t2685)
Button (t5995)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, MP3 calls t150, CO calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t125, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t650) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls t400, SB folds.

Turn: (t1450) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t600</font>, Hero calls t600.

River: (t2650) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t1535 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1535.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: AA Line Check

Why c/c the turn? I prefer both leading out and c/r allin here. He's getting more than 2:1 to call a c/r.

Edit: By the way I kick myself for not getting the money in on the turn as I fold the river.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 PM

I really can't get much of a read on what the villain has from the way the hand played out... this is unfortunate.

You're probably only behind a 5 or 77 at this point, so giving him the chance to bet his mid pair against your "busted high cards whose continuation bet was called" is good, although his turn bet is pretty weak, i'd probably checkraise the turn, shut him out, and take the pot down right there.

On the river 7, I think you're better off putting out a blocking bet and folding to a raise, although the pot is pretty big by that point. Only a 7 will raise your river bet, while most other pairs or a 5 will just call.

Given the way it played out, I think you do have to call the river, hoping he has 88-JJ or caught a Q or something.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why c/c the turn? I prefer both leading out and c/r allin here. He's getting more than 2:1 to call a c/r.

Edit: By the way I kick myself for not getting the money in on the turn as I fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of check raising all in on the turn but just didn't know what he could call me with that I was ahead of. The 600 chip bet was either a timid request to find out if his random seven or small pair was good or A5 milking me. My plan on the river was to make a value/blocking bet of 800 or so, but the seven hitting changed that (though I'm not sure it should have.)
Old 07-21-2005, 12:23 PM

I play the hand exactly the same way. sometimes i fold the river, but sometimes I make myself call and am pleasantly surprised. never underestimate the bad play of internet players.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Results

Well I'm generally not a fan of making big laydowns in the early stages of these tourneys, but I did think there was a decent chance I was beat. As my timeclock ticked down the one thing that bothered me was the smallish turn bet paired with the push on the river. If I checked twice and he had a full house, wouldn't 800-1k be a better bet in case I had an 88/99 type of hand? Anyway, I went ahead and called getting 3:1, figuring I was probably ahead here about half the time. Needless to say I was pleased to see him show a counterfeited 44 - "I play the board sir." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]