Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 PM

Default River question with \"nut wheel\" but a 3-flush on board

Haven't really been having my mind on the game, and been playing quite bad. Villain (button) in this hand is quite new to the table, been playing maybe one lap, and hasn't really caught my attention. That might mean he's sort of average [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] MP is an ok player, a bit tricky, might throw in an occational semibluff checkraise. SB is a fish who has gotten a bit lucky.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Got a bit greedy here... Given that MP is a reasonable player, I really shouldn't want to confront him with two bets.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero?

What's your action? And if you feel like commenting on the rest of the hand, please do...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: River question with \"nut wheel\" but a 3-flush on board

I wouldn't 3 bet the flop, and I'd bet the river and call a raise.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that MP is a reasonable player, I really shouldn't want to confront him with two bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct.

I lead the river, call a raise. The chances of a running flush are too small for you to get afraid now. My guess is that he has a pair of tens.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:42 PM

There's no way villian has a flush on this river. Bet and 3-bet if you can.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no way villian has a flush on this river. Bet and 3-bet if you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Have the cat ready to be kicked if you're capped.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet and 3-bet if you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just need to make sure I have this right: Is T9 the only situation we are hoping for that would bring about a raise back to you on the river? Is calling a raise close to 3-betting?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just need to make sure I have this right: Is T9 the only situation we are hoping for that would bring about a raise back to you on the river? Is calling a raise close to 3-betting?

[/ QUOTE ]
A9, 49, etc... or the world's slowest played set (or 99). If someone really did hit their runner-runner flush I am paying off their cap and sacrificing said cat to the pagan God of my choice.

-K
Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just need to make sure I have this right: Is T9 the only situation we you hoping for that would bring about a raise back to you on the river? Is calling a raise close to 3-betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is unknown so we have to assume he's not a great player. His raise might mean just about anything.

Many bad players will raise with two pair (T9) or perhaps an A or even a bluff more often than with the flush. Your hand beats everything but a flush! It's a very good hand. You are probably beat if he caps but that will be rare enough to make 3-betting profitable.

I can't see that many hands that button would raise the flop with that contain two hearts. It's possible he has 56hearts how likely is that? He might have A4hearts or A2hearts but how often does he raise with that on the flop and not raise the turn with that? It's much more likely he has a T or some other pocket pair. If he has the flush he played it oddly and will surely give back the 2BB extra you lose to him by 3-betting and calling a cap.

Whenever you find situations like this where you are highly likely to be ahead it's better value to re-raise but also better for table image and metagaming considerations. Players will be less likely to raise you lightly on the river if they know you are capable of making them eat it. They will therefore need much better hands to suck that extra bet out of you in the future.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Results

Didn't think it would be this easy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP folds, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Luckily the cat survives [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I don't have much to add, droolie said most things in his second post. Just two short thoughts:
1. Your raise is unlikely to be capped, because the opponents usually fear the flush, hence they probably need the nut flush or close to it (K) to reraise.
2. Checking with the intention of raising is usually bad when there's a 3-flush on board. Most passive opponents check behind with hands such as top pair, fearing the flush...