Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Catching TPTK on the turn against LA-A

Hello all,
Villian is LA-A the two other guys are fishes.
My question is should i reraise on the turn or was my play corect?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Tx all
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Catching TPTK on the turn against LA-A

Preflop: Depending on how aggressive LA-A is PF, I’d consider capping here based on pot equity verses 4 players and having position on 2 of them.

Flop: Flop check is OK, but since the pot is big, a bet here may get the LA-A to raise and knock out the other two players to improve your chances of winning. For example, BB and MP2 could easily fold their PP below 99 or a hand like 3x facing 2 bets cold.

Turn: The way you played it, I would call the turn raise. I wouldn’t reraise so he doesn’t have the chance to cap with AA/KK/any 9. The flop check is suspicious from a LA-A. A lot of the time these types of guys play their strong hands weakly and their weak hands strongly. So, the check makes me think he could have a hand that beats yours. I’d rather he just bluff his chips away if you are ahead.

River: The way you played it, I would lead out. I don’t want to check the river too him because he’ll take a free showdown with hand he’d call a bet with but not bet. And just call a river raise.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:01 PM

I think I can find a 3-bet on the turn against his hand range. He's going to have KQ, QJ, AJ, or Q4 a lot more often than he'll have AA, KK, or 9x.

Just curious, why are you checking a paired flop with two major overcards in a 12.5sb pot from late position? I'm not criticizing your play at all, just interesting in your thought process.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:13 PM

flop check is good. pop him again on the turn and call down if he doesnt stop.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:20 PM

The reason that i didnt bet the flop was, that the field saw me betting Overcards on the flop and turn the last three times and i want to mix up my play.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason that i didnt bet the flop was, that the field saw me betting Overcards on the flop and turn the last three times and i want to mix up my play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty strong reason, good stuff.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pop him again on the turn and call down if he doesnt stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:33 PM

I think that there are two good lines here. The line that you actually took. and the line where you get 4 bets in on the turn and river. Only you know which would've been best.

I have notes on some LAGs that I will always go 4 bets against - and some that I'm just going to call down. I don't think you've given enough information (nor am I positive that you could give enough information) for us to make that decision.

I will say that, knowing the way some 2/4 LAGs play, it wouldn't surprise me if he 3-bet PF and checked the flop with 33 or A9.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:09 PM

The check on the flop then raise on the turn is really hard to get an accurate read on from this type of player. Sometimes this will be a slowplay with AA/KK or a 9, and sometimes this is a "i don't like being pushed off a pot, so i'm going to raise you" with stuff like TT, JJ, AK, etc.

I think we're ahead a resonable amount of time and am willing to throw in a re-raise, and call down any further action.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... Why would CO blow out the field if he has a 9?

I get jiggy and lead the river and call one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]