Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Flop Top Pair, not happy with my play.

Playing .25 .50 NL, I've got about 100 in the BB, Villain is on the button with more than me. Background on Villain, he won 25k this week in a bodog tourney, and is usually lag anyways, but the fact that he won so much leads me to believe he may not care much. He also raises A LOT preflop with crap, and has been doing so most of the night. Hes a pretty good player though. The hand directly before this he rivered my ace high straight with a full house and slow rolled, so i was probably tilting a bit, even though i made the right play on him.

Okay here is the hand, im in BB with Qh Js, VERY LOOSE game preflop tonight, Villain raises to 2.50, SB calls, i call.

Flop comes Jh Th 3c, SB checks, I check, Villain bets 8. SB folds i call.

Turn 2s, I check Villain bets 24. I call.

River 7d. I check, villain bets all in (i have 53.75). Now i say to myself, why are you in this hand? Why would you call the turn bet if you werent going to call a river all in, you knew it was coming. So i think for a while, convince myself he has a certain hand, and call.

Any comments would be really appreciated, what you would put him on, what your flop move is, what your turn move is, what your river move is.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Flop Top Pair, not happy with my play.

Hmm. Does the guy keep betting all the way down with air? You said he was a bit crazy preflop but a pretty good player after the flop. Why can't this be an overpair, for example? LAGs get dealt KK too.

Given the read you have on the guy there's not much to say about the line you've taken. You're going to call all the way down with top pair and make him pay for his mindless aggression. OK, fine. But you'd better be right about him being mindlessly aggressive on all streets.

I think the problem stems from playing QJo to a raise preflop out of position. I'm happy to take on the maniacs but want a slightly heavier bat in my hands when I do.