Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:00 AM

Default HOH making MTT\'s tougher on whole?

True or false? With the sales on amazon through the roof, should I be devising a strategy to play against the strategy that Harrington lays out? Has anyone else begun this process yet? Or are there simply enough terrible players clogging up MTT's that following HOH is the best way to go?

-Matt
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: HOH making MTT\'s tougher on whole?

[ QUOTE ]
HOH making MTT's tougher on whole?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Just because people buy the book doesnt mean they read it, understand it and execute it. In fact, I would say book sales of twoplustwo are generally insignificant to the quality of play at sites.
~Justin
Old 07-20-2005, 02:06 AM

Most people who read HOH will either misapply it or apply it too predictably. I've already seen a lot players who will automatically bet half the pot for continuation bets and more for bets when they actually have a strong hand. Players like this have no strategy against reraises and are easy to exploit.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:08 AM

I would wager that a lot of people will mis-apply the theoretics of HoH to such a high degree, you dont have a lot to worry about.

All the good players already knew most of his ideas, so I think it will be a case of the good players stay good, and the bad players (on the whole)stay the same/get worse because they just don't understand it.

There is a fine line between getting the information and using it correctly, and as they say "a little information is a dangerous thing"

I dont necessarily think you have to play *against* his strategy, but as long as you are aware of it and can identify it in others, it can only give you a bigger edge.

I have started to become jocular at the tables, and ask them "hey guys, anyone read the new harrington book yet?" and those that say yes, I just observe and get a line on them, to see how stringently they follow it. If they are following it ardently, this makes them hugely exploitable.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 AM

Well, I have been playing at my lowest level ever and I finished HOH2 a few weeks ago.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 AM

I think that some online players will read it, not understand the adjustments one must make for a tournament with shallower stacks and shorter rounds (including those adjustments spelled out in the text), and play too tight, even predictably tight. Then they will complain about getting eliminated on a suck out like QQ called by AT, when they haven't properly built a stack that can absorb an occasional suck out and keep having to go all-in short stacked.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would wager that a lot of people will mis-apply the theoretics of HoH to such a high degree, you dont have a lot to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, i dont think its throwing any major change on MTTs.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 05:44 AM

not even close,

the SIZE of the fields, now that's making it tougher....but not like the competition is getting any smarter - they just have more chances to get lucky

RB
Old 07-20-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because people buy the book doesnt mean they read it, understand it and execute it. In fact, I would say book sales of twoplustwo are generally insignificant to the quality of play at sites.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

For another example of a book only 1% of the people who bought it read, and only 1% of the people who read understood, see here.

So what you are trying to say is???????

Regards Mack