Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Poker creating a hole my my resume

A question for the other pro collge students out there, what are you guys going to say about the hole in your resume that you're makiing while playing poker? By the time I get my degree I'll have gone about 2 1/2 years without a job. I don't know what my future employer will think of that.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Poker creating a hole my my resume

[ QUOTE ]
A question for the other pro collge students out there, what are you guys going to say about the hole in your resume that you're makiing while playing poker? By the time I get my degree I'll have gone about 2 1/2 years without a job. I don't know what my future employer will think of that.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

If your grades are good just say you wanted to devote yourself to your studies. If your grades aren't good, say you needed to devote yourself to your studies.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:19 PM

i dont plan on working anywhere that needs a resume

even if i was, i would be flat honest about it cause i probably could care less what they think. then i prob wouldnt get the job, which i wouldnt have wanted anyway. ah nevermind. i dont plan on working for the man.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:21 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat. But I have a job on the side. I work till 7 everyday then play 2-3 hours of poker every day.

I don't understand, how much poker do you play?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:29 PM

I play about 4-5 hours every day. I don't think I could maintain a job with school and playing poker, unless I cut down to like 10-15 hours a week
Old 07-19-2005, 04:29 PM

As another poster explained it best, tell them...

"You worked w/ retards"

very admirable
Old 07-19-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... By the time I get my degree I'll have gone about 2 1/2 years without a job. I don't know what my future employer will think of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going full time as an undergrad, you have nothing to worry about. If you are going full time as a grad, you have nothing to worry about. If you are going part-time as a grad, make something up.

My point is that full time (12+ hours) of study doesn't qualify as a hole in your resume. 6 hours with nothing else to show for it does. Grad students are expected to have other responsibilties unless they are full time students.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:22 AM

Well you got to make the decision early on do I want to make playing poker a major and lengthly commitment, or prepare to get the best job possible after college is done with? Choosing both will hender you from excelling in one or the other.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont plan on working anywhere that needs a resume

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the crap are you going to work that doesn't require a resume?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:22 AM

i would suggest that you list poker on your resume. im not sure what school you go to, but at mine there is a poker club that sponsers tournaments, and they advocated the club by talking about how employers are looking for poker players. think about it, what skills do u learn from poker? analytical thinking, bankroll managing, dealing with stress, etc. you can list all those skills in the typical "resume style" way and it could turn out to be a bonus. and avoid downplaying it... mention how many hours per week you do it, the time you spend studying, the books you read, etc. if you're talented enough to do it full time, they must give you credit.

it depends on where you are applying for a job... in the business world it would not be looked down on at all, and might even be an icebreaker at the interview. obviously, any kind of religious or non-profit organization might object.

btw, its what i plan on doing.