Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Any way to protect myself from this?

Here is the hand. This is the type of hand of why I stopped playing Fixed limit for a while and stuck to NL.
3-6fixed(6max)
Hero 9(180) Button
Villian 1 Sb (100)
Villian to BB (450)

Hero delt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Folded to button Hero raises to 6
SB Calls
Villian reraise
Hero Caps
SB calls
Villian calls
Pot 36
Flop
6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian checks
Villian 2 checks
Hero bets 3$
Villian calls 3$
Villian two calls #3
Turn (pot 45)9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villian checks
Villian two checks
Hero bets 6$
Villian 1 folds
Villian two calls $6
Total pot (57$)
River 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian bets 6$
Hero throws up complains and calls 6$
Comments on all streets appreciated
should i have folded
Villian shows A 10 striaght to the 10 wins pot
Old 07-18-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Any way to protect myself from this?

Should you have folded? Get real. Was this a bad beat? Not really.

You do not mention whether on of villain's cards was a diamond. If he had the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then on the flop he has two overcards, a backdoor flush and a two-gap backdoor straight. Let's give him 2.5 outs for the overcards, 1.5 for the flush draw and .5 for the straight draw, for a total of 4.5. He is closing the action getting 11-1, so this is a good call. On the turn, he has an easy call with his two overs and a gut-shot.

If he did not have a diamond, the flop call is a little thinner, but this is 3-handed and you could have any number of things, including things which make all 6 of his overcard outs good. Calling is not unreasonable (especially closing the action).

As for your play, I think you played fine. You were ahead until the river and stood to win a very big pot. Too bad it didn't work out this time, but most of the time it will.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the type of hand of why I stopped playing Fixed limit for a while and stuck to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparantly drawouts never happen at NL. I guess I'm playing the wrong game.

So you're decision was to make a come back to FL from NL and start at 3/6 6max?!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the type of hand of why I stopped playing Fixed limit for a while and stuck to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're decision was to make a come back to FL from NL and start at 3/6 6max?!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course draw outs happen. But in a hand like this the player involved would have never seen a river. Also, the game wasnt really 6max it was a full ring with 6 players. 3-6 is about as low as ill play because any lower ill get disinterested. My dislike of fixed limit is that i feel almost as if im helpless. I see draws out and can only bet a fixed amount. But im trying to not let this small setbacks stop me from improving. I just wanted to verify that i played it right. Also, "schooling" occurs far more often in these games so at the lower limits draw outs are much more common at fixed limit.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Patience is as important in NL as it is in limit. Therefore, if you are finding yourself impatient in limit then you may find yourself becoming a losing player in NL
Old 07-18-2005, 11:04 AM

yes, quit playing
Old 07-18-2005, 11:23 AM

cant quit quite yet. Been too sucessful and having people like you act like dkcs on a fourmn where im asking if i did anything wrong encourouges me. Thanks for the support....
Old 07-18-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-6 is about as low as ill play because any lower ill get disinterested.

[/ QUOTE ]
Standard Response: Maybe you should be playing higher limits then. I hear that bets and raises get more respect at the 50/100 tables. A draw out like this would certainly never happen there.

Serious Response: You played this hand fine. Quit whining and get on with it. If you can't be serious at a limit lower than 3/6 then you should (A) not be posting ridiculous hands like this because you should already know that drawouts happen in poker OR (B) just stop playing poker all together.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3-6 is about as low as ill play because any lower ill get disinterested.

[/ QUOTE ]
Standard Response: Maybe you should be playing higher limits then. I hear that bets and raises get more respect at the 50/100 tables. A draw out like this would certainly never happen there.

Serious Response: You played this hand fine. Quit whining and get on with it. If you can't be serious at a limit lower than 3/6 then you should (A) not be posting ridiculous hands like this because you should already know that drawouts happen in poker OR (B) just stop playing poker all together.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was posting because i havent played fixed in almost a year. When your unsure as if you did anything wrong i went to this forum just to make sure i played it right. 3-6 is the place for me if not 5-10 i have enough bankroll both from my job and from NL that i can stand a few quirks in the road. I just want to make sure capping was good? Calling the river was good. And that i played it well. is all.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:28 AM

To respond villian did not have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
So i hate his original call. His turn call i thought again was a mistake. he was drawing to 7 outs the pot odds werent there and implied werent either as he would only get one more bet.