Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Pushing AK too hard?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (5.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero??

Final Pot: 6.70 BB
Old 07-17-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Pushing AK too hard?

Folds.

You've been called on every bet since the flop...your opponent can probably beat ace high.

T
Old 07-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Folds.

Every draw got there.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folds.

Every draw got there.

[/ QUOTE ]

except backdoor clubs.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:40 PM

NEED READS. whether to call or fold totally depends whether villain is passive or bluff happy. lacking reads I fold.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:54 PM

Look at it this way, not many hands dont beat you. I fold.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Folds.

You've been called on every bet since the flop...your opponent can probably beat ace high.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at hands this way isn't going to get the money. The problem with this analysis is that AK-high beats A LOT of hands...over 28% to be exact, and the pot is laying us a big price.

The thing to look at is what cards hit the turn/river when the flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. If the turn is the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the river is the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I'm almost certainly going to check and call on the river. A hand like 98 or J9 will almost always bluff the river if the player is bad enough. They absolutely love to bluff in these spots if their hand has no shot (and bluffing too much in these medium sized pots is big time -EV). The problem with this hand is that all of the possible straight draws either got there or paired up latent straight draws. So eventhough a hand like 86 didn't make a straight, it made a pair of eights and that does the job too.

Brad
Old 07-18-2005, 06:52 AM

Why call? If you wanted to call, you should have bet out. You already made up your mind when you checked. Hand over.

That being said, check/folding this flop would not have been the worst thing in the world. While you have overs, you have no flush and only a BD straight chance to help.

On the turn, you added a gutshot to your overs, so fire again. There's always the chance of folding middle or bottom pair too.

On the river, it might be worth one more shot to see if you can fold middle pair or worse. Once you check though, your done. You probably don't have the best hand anyway.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why call? If you wanted to call, you should have bet out. You already made up your mind when you checked. Hand over.

That being said, check/folding this flop would not have been the worst thing in the world. While you have overs, you have no flush and only a BD straight chance to help.

On the turn, you added a gutshot to your overs, so fire again. There's always the chance of folding middle or bottom pair too.

On the river, it might be worth one more shot to see if you can fold middle pair or worse. Once you check though, your done. You probably don't have the best hand anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've learned (unless noted on a player otherwise) that in this situation you fire the flop, fire the turn, and check fold the river... in my experience they call about 70% of the time on the river anyway. A bet here to me is giving away money.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 AM

I like the line here, the hands heads up which means AK has a decent shot at being ahead on the flop and your overcard outs are probably good, on the turn you pick up a gutshot to go with your overs so betting again i think is right, you may be ahead and have outs if you arent, if you are ahead you obviously need to make villain pay to draw.

I would probably check/call the river here, once you check he could decide to bluff seeing as you've signalled weakness. I think that looking at the board there's a good chance you are beat here but its not a certainty and its worth a call in my opinion.