Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Default why is limit harder than NL?

Hi,

I rememeber a while back I had a debate with a friend of my in regards to the difficulty of LHE v.s. NLHE. At that time I was strictly a NL player and being probably partly biased I argued NLHE was the harder game. Since then I have slowly transformed into a strictly LHE player.

Looking back and comparing my experiences with LHE and NLHE, if we had the same debate again, I would say limit is harder.

So why the change of opinon? It is because I found that I had a harder time going from loser to winner in LHE than I did with NL. However, if you were ask me to list a couple reasons as to why Limit is harder, I wouldnt be able to give you clear answer.

So just out of curiosity, my question is, why do you guys think limit harder ??????
Old 07-17-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: why is limit harder than NL?

i personally think NL is a more difficult and complicated game. your short term results are more based on the quality of your decisions, whereas in limit, luck carries more weight in the short term.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:40 PM

NL is harder psychologically due to the bigger swings. I prefer limit, because you can relax at a home game at small stakes, and not risk your whole stack in one hand. Some people are driven to NL cause its the "cadillac", but I dont' play for balls and glory, but profit and fun.

I'm tired, so this was short........ [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2005, 01:46 PM

NLHE tends to be much easier for a mediocre weak-tight player, especially at the lower levels. This makes sense, since bad players make oversized bets and bluffs in poor situations that are very easy to spot and pick off.

LHE forces a player to constantly make good decisions for small immediate variance (i.e. +/- 1SB/BB). The weak-tight model sucks now, and sharp players will exercise their better skills, reads, and general knowledge to consistently outplay weaker opponents.

BTW: A good LHE player tends to have much bigger swings than a good NLHE player in a typical game.

At high limits, both of these games become quite difficult in so many new areas. I know that many professionals prefer high LHE to high NLHE, but I cannot be sure this follows the same reasoning.