Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 10:02 AM

Default last to act with a good draw, raise for free card or not?

I am not quite sure what is the optimal play in these and similair situations:

1. No raise preflop with several limpers. You are last to act with an open-ended draw, and holding no overcards. It is checked all around to a late postion bettor, and now it is your act. Do you raise here to try and get a free card, or should you just call to encourage calls from the players who checked?

2. Same situaton but holding one overcard. Would you play it the same way as the above situation or diffrently?

3. Same situation but now you have one overcard and a weak draw ( backdoor flush or gutshot ).
Old 07-17-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: last to act with a good draw, raise for free card or not?

Flat call in every scenario you presented, maybe fold scenario 3 with the backdoor flush + overcard (I'm calling with a gutshot), depending on pot odds, the quality of your opponents, and whether or not your backdoor draw is to the nut flush. The situation where I'd advocate a raise vs. a large field with any of these hands is so rare it's not even worth considering here.

Now, with two overs + OESD or 4-flush, that's a situation where I'd like raising to increase my chances of winning with a pair.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:15 PM

1. call
2. call
3. call/fold depending on reads and pot.

Your hand isn't great on the flop. When conditions are perfect (read: fold equity), you can sometimes raise the turn in #2 or even #1, but on the flop the raise very often makes a mess of the situation in a multiway pot. You really want the ability to catch an overcard and win the pot when you raise.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:31 PM

hmm...interesting, both replies so far suggest calling on all 3 situations.

Personally right now, I use the free card play very very often on almost all 3 situations.

Can you give me the reasoing behind the choice of calling, and why raising for a free card is the wrong play.

Thanks for your answers
Old 07-17-2005, 03:45 PM

By raising your knocking out the limpers who will more than likely not call two cold, and decreasing the amount you win when you hit your striaght or flush