Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Ok to fold AK here? (PP 10+1)

No reads in particular. Everyone's been playing well, stealing blinds and playing flops where appropriate. With equal stacks I put this guy on a decent pocket pair, AK, or better. I don't think he would be pushing hard here with broadway cards or any 2.

NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Level:6 Blinds(100/200) - Sunday, July 17, 07:52:35 EDT 2005
Table Table 35056 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 1: renis ( $2400 )
Seat 3: Villain ( $2665 )
Seat 6: Hero ( $2935 )
Trny:14009189 Level:6
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ad Kc ]
Villain is all-In [2665]

Hero ???

If he hadn't pushed I probably would have. Is folding weak tight here?

I ended up placing 2nd, but in going through the hand history for ITM play this is the one hand where I feel like I could have had a sure shot at 1st if I had called and won.

edit: added site and buyin in subject.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Ok to fold AK here? (PP 10+1)

I just ran this through SNGPT, and calling here is pretty bad if that's his range. I suspect his range would be a lot bigger than that, but if you honestly feel that's what he's on, you need TT+ to call.

I wish I could tell you why. But my understanding of ITM play has gone down the toilet in the past couple of hours.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 AM

ICM might say fold but too often they have AT, AQ or AJ. I call this but I also have twice as many 3rds as 1sts lately so maybe plays like this are why? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2005, 09:58 AM

How can you possibly fold AK here????, you are in the money and trying to take 1st, it's an auto call.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you possibly fold AK here????, you are in the money and trying to take 1st, it's an auto call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if his guess about villain's push range is correct. Then it's a pretty bad call.

But since I think that range is waaaaay too tight, you gotta call with the quickness.

Again though, if we assume that hero knows that that's villain's push range, then folding is definitely correct.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:25 AM

I don't care what ICM, SNGPT, or anything else says. I'm calling this. Maybe not caring what those say about this is a leak, but me personally... there's no way I lay this down.

I'd need an absolute dead-on read that the guy has AA or KK to fold. I don't think you're likely to have that in the $11s on anyone.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:59 AM

Well then this may surprise you.

If he flips over 22 and then pushes, calling is very bad. If you know for a fact that he'd only push with a pocket pair, then calling is very, very bad.

So basically calling only becomes good when he pushes enough non-pair hands to make up for all the pairs he'll push.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No reads in particular. Everyone's been playing well, stealing blinds and playing flops where appropriate. With equal stacks I put this guy on a decent pocket pair, AK, or better. I don't think he would be pushing hard here with broadway cards or any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your read is right, then folding is ok, but I wouldn't give *any* $10+1 opponent that much credit. To me, that's an auto-call at the $11s.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your read is right, then folding is ok, but I wouldn't give *any* $10+1 opponent that much credit. To me, that's an auto-call at the $11s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed ^.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:08 PM

While calling here is bad if you know he has a PP it is an 11 and his range is much wider than just any PP.

Folding here is atrocious at these low limits, versus standard opponents villain will have AQ- far far too many times.

I could only fold this to the weakest-tight worst SNG player in the history of man.