Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 03:46 PM

Default 5/10 Party, do I lay this down?

5/10, I haven't seen villain play many hands, I've only been sitting for about 2 orbits, he has about $1400 and I cover. He opens for 35 and I call with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bets 50, I make it 150, he calls.

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet 150, he makes it 320, I call.

River brick

He bets 800, Hero....

Edit: Villain is a lunatic preflop, raises with a large variety of hands...
Old 07-16-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Party, do I lay this down?

It looks like one of 2 things. Either he doesnt believe that you have a flush since you raised the flop...or he doesnt care that you have the flush because he has a boat.

I dont like playing a flush draw like that on a paired board.

I think he either has AJ, JJ or AA but I cant really narrow it down which for me means Im folding, but I rarely put myself in situations like this, so Im not real confident in my answer.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:26 PM

i honeslty dont know what you are beating..i think you have to lay it down
Old 07-16-2005, 04:50 PM

To me his large river bet says "I know you have to pay me off with a flush which im beating, so ill bet 800" He also could easily have QK hearts, and any kind of boat. I think you are only beating a bluff. Eh, fold.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a lunatic preflop, raises with a large variety of hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

. . . But tones it down and plays reasonably postflop? If so, then I probably lean toward a fold, but I don't think he has a full house every time here.

If he plays a bit crazy postflop, then I could see you having him beat. He's betting $800 into a $1,025 pot, leaving ~$100 behind? This is a tough spot against an unknown, but against a lot of maniacs who don't play super well postflop, this is often a hand that doesn't want a call. Of course, I've also ran into "maniacs" who were smart enough, aware of this exact type of thinking, to make this type of bet on a Q-high board w/ AQ when he has me on a JJ/1010-type hand--making a $2k river bet into a $2k pot, leaving like $80 behind and leaving me scratching my head and wondering, how the [censored] did he know?

From what position did he raise? And just how loony is he preflop? Is he raising AJo from MP? How about 45s from EP? 6h7h from EP?

I could see you being ahead here, to a smaller flush, AJ, a 45s-type hand, or pure air if he plays crazy after the flop and doesn't believe you have a flush, and thus thinks you can't call his river bet.

Of course, you could also very well be behind to JJ, AA, a bigger flush, or A4s. I think to some degree the likelihood of this being the case increases when villain is making this raise from UTG/UTG+1, but if he really is *that* loony preflop, then maybe this doesn't apply in this spot.

This is a really tough spot. Against an unknown, w/ a second-best hand on a board like this faced w/ a 9/10 villain's stack-sized bet, I lean toward a fold. If you've seen him do anything funky postflop however, it might swing it to a call--though I tend to call these types of bets a bit too often. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Good post, AZK. Oh, and thanks for stepping up to moderate the forum. Much needed, and I think you'll do a great job.

-neon.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:06 PM

i like a PF and flop look good. i like a check on the turn sometimes, and a fold on the end. really tough not to pay this river off, but i dont know how you can expect to win... those bet sizes exude confidence and he clearly wants a call... i dont know if he play 45s this way, but id think that hand would get more defensive after a turn heart..?
on the turn, checking not only provides pot control on a paired board, but it also allows you to get value on river... sure you give him a freebie, and on this board, alot of freebies could ruin your hand, but you cant expect him to call OOP with with alot of worse hands on this board with the threat of a possible big bet on the end. ok. so... checking turn looks good to me(unless the guy is a donkey, then value bet!) and river laydown.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:15 PM

How often do you check a turn like this? There are a lot of cards I don't like to see, I rarely check this turn.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you check a turn like this? There are a lot of cards I don't like to see, I rarely check this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]i know there are alot of cards you dont like to see... ALOT. sometimes you gotta be brave. interestingly, if you had raised the flop with some bs, id fire the second barrel on this turn almost every time... big too.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's risky, for sure, but it also lets you control the size of the pot, throws villain even further off the scent of you having a flush, and makes it a lot easier to call a pot-sized bet from villain on the river, as well as making it easier to escape if he moves in.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:12 PM

when i get flop and turn action like that, i most often am putting money in drawing dead.

fim