Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 06:28 AM

Default do you lay off with the ace high flush but not the nuts

sitting at a wild 1/2 game...once the 4 flush board came out...and i raised with my ace high flush..but then faced a re raise from one of the player who wasn't as wild sa the others..do you back off?
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (18.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (30.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 32.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+2 has Kh Qh (straight flush, king high).
Hero has Ah As (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 30.25 BB. UTG+2 wins 2 BB. </font>
Old 07-16-2005, 06:36 AM

Default Re: do you lay off with the ace high flush but not the nuts

Yuck. You do see that the bare 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] also beats you, right? So you only have the 2nd best single heart. If you you saw someone give this much action with the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on a non straightflush board, you'd conclude that they were terrible hand readers, wouldn't you? How is this different?

Good luck.
Eric
Old 07-16-2005, 06:42 AM

I just finished responding to a post where a guy wanted to slow down with AQ against a Q-9-9-Q-7 board to read this..? I mean, yeah, it blows that the lone 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] beats you, but give me a break. If you seriously are reading somebody for a straight flush, you've got super-duper monsters-under-the-bed syndrome. If you're ever thinking about dumping the nut flush, at least let the board pair (and, really, you should probably be looking at a double-paired board). How often do you really lose to straight flush for this to be an awful leak?
Old 07-16-2005, 06:44 AM

Kill the results. They skew responses.

I'm not against capping the river.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:47 AM

UTG+2 raised from fairly early position pre-flop. That significantly reduces the chance of him having the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Enough to play it like you did.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:26 AM

I have a question on the results: how do you lose to a K high straight flush and win 30.25BB while he only wins 2BB? Or is this a mispost?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:06 AM

I think this is a case where you played it right and yet you still lost the hand. It happens. Don't let losing a hand like this push you to lay down the nut flush everytime the board is scary; that would be bad bad bad.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:16 AM

A little off topic grunch

When playing nano limits like .05/.10 , since almost everyone who has flush will call down, is it ok to treat a K high flush as the nut flush ?
Old 07-16-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i raised with my ace high flush..but then faced a re raise from one of the player who wasn't as wild sa the others

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not against capping the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think any player that is not insane will go to war on the turn and river with the naked K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

(Personally I'm more worried about 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] than KQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].)
Old 07-16-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question on the results: how do you lose to a K high straight flush and win 30.25BB while he only wins 2BB? Or is this a mispost?

[/ QUOTE ]

well he was short stacked..he just had 2 dollar left after the river came..so LUCKILY he didn't have anymore money...and thank god for that. at least i got lucky in that aspect