Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Honestly - pet peeves, angle shoots and what not

I've read some posts lately describing some of my actions, but I don't angle-shoot or slow roll. So ... your opinion is valuable to me.

Firstly, I play low-limit. Mostly 6/12. But I do play 4/8 and 9/18 occastionally.

On the last round of betting whether I'm the bettor or I'm over-calling (with the non-nut flush let's say) or everyone checks, I always wait to show my hand in turn. I've been accused of being a slow-roller at the table for this before. This occurs only when people just sit there not wanting to turn their cards up. I always patiently wait to show my hand in turn. Is this really that bad? It should only take a couple of seconds for everyone to show and I don't hesitate a second when it's my turn to show.

Another case where I may be violating etiquette(sp) is when I'm the bettor on the last round of betting. I usually wait for others to open when they call. Most of the time the person with the winner usually obliges and shows within half a second - so you don't have to show your loser. At that time I promptly muck. Is this really that bad? Isn't it better not to show my hand ever, unless I'm the winner. There are times when the other person says, "you show", to which I promptly show.

Am I one of those guys that annoys the hell out of you? Am I on the edge of being one of those guys? This is just my playing style - one of don't show them your cards if you don't have to. And play by the rules - show your cards in turn.

I do understand that not showing after being the bettor on the river isn't playing by the rules - so I'm bending them a little here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-DP
Old 07-15-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Honestly - pet peeves, angle shoots and what not

[ QUOTE ]
On the last round of betting whether I'm the bettor or I'm over-calling (with the non-nut flush let's say) or everyone checks, I always wait to show my hand in turn.

Another case where I may be violating etiquette(sp) is when I'm the bettor on the last round of betting. I usually wait for others to open when they call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You contradicted yourself. In the beginning you stated that you wait your turn to show, which I think is ok. Then you say if you are the last better then you wait for others to show their hands.

If you're going to wait till it is your turn to show then fine, nobody should have a problem. But, always show when it is your turn. If you were the last better and you get called just show.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the last round of betting whether I'm the bettor or I'm over-calling (with the non-nut flush let's say) or everyone checks, I always wait to show my hand in turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're the bettor, you show first.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been accused of being a slow-roller at the table for this before. This occurs only when people just sit there not wanting to turn their cards up. I always patiently wait to show my hand in turn. Is this really that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you call but think you have the winner, you should probably just show it as soon as action closes. I don't think it's a particularly bad move to wait for the bettor to show first, but you could just go ahead and get it over with.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:48 PM

I don't get everyone's obsession with not showing their cards at showdown. As soon as the action is completed on the river I flip mine over and hope for the best. I either take down the pot or I don't- I am not embarrassed to show a hand. Hell, if you ARE embarrassed to show a hand, that is probably the best time to do it! Let everyone think you are a donk.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:03 PM

I think it has value to see your opponent's cards -- and I always insist on showing in turn -- if I call, I will wait as long as it takes to see your hand.

HOWEVER when I am the one who must show first, I do it right away. If I bet and you call me, my hand is getting turned up without anyone asking. I don't see any big advantage in not showing here, certainly not enough to slow down the game and annoy the other players.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do understand that not showing after being the bettor on the river isn't playing by the rules - so I'm bending them a little here.

[/ QUOTE ] No, it is not proper to do this. I always show in turn, not only because that's a great established rule, but I want to see the opponents' hands before they muck. However, should I be the bettor, just show it right away.

You need to smile more at the table. It'll loosen up the competition and they won't see you as an angle shooter. I think your seriousness brings out the crankiness in your opponents.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're the bettor, you show first.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sadly this isn't the rule everywhere :-(
Old 07-15-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get everyone's obsession with not showing their cards at showdown. As soon as the action is completed on the river I flip mine over and hope for the best. I either take down the pot or I don't- I am not embarrassed to show a hand. Hell, if you ARE embarrassed to show a hand, that is probably the best time to do it! Let everyone think you are a donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing an aggressor's cards lets you analyze their betting patterns by going back over the hand now that you know what they have. Since at most B&M tables you're sitting with the same person for hours, I find this quite useful for getting a good read.

I doubt for most people here it has anything to do with embarassment.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:44 PM

What governs me on showing is this: if I think I might have a chance of winning by showing, and by that, I mean that I have a pair or better, then I show. If not, I muck and say that I missed. There's no need to deliberate with yourself...you know where you are...if you're there, turn'em...if not, muck'em...but holding onto them to "act in turn" is rather pointless.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:46 PM

If the rules where you play state that the bettor shows first, then just show. You may gain a little information by waiting out your opponent, but you have to ask yourself what you're giving up in terms of a relaxed atmoshphere and non-intimidating atmosphere. You don't want to humiliate someone by making them show their craptastic hand if it will cause them to tighten up.