Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2003, 11:50 AM

Default Hand against an unknown. What to do?

2/4 online game. Loose passive as always. Unknown is in MP, I'm in LP.

1 EP limper, unknown limps, folded to me and I raise with A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . BB and both limpers call.

Flop: 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Unknown bets in to me, I raise, BB folds, EP calls two, unknown reraises and EP and I call.

Turn: 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Unknown bets and we both call.

River: 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

Unknown bets and only I call.

I have the feeling I didn't play this hand right. I should have folded somewhere, or I should have raised somewhere, but I'm not sure what is best. At the time I felt I should call him down to get some info on this player, but then again, at the turn there's still another player in as well.
I hope you all can give some ideas.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 02-19-2003, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Hand against an unknown. What to do?

I think that the unknown could have been sitting on suited connectors and a medium heart. I would have put him on a 7-8 suited myself I don't think he would three bet a draw with another caller in after you. Its though to do and easy to say but I think I would have dumpped on the turn when he three bet and there was another caller, you could have been looking at 3 best hand there. Jon
Old 02-19-2003, 12:53 PM

Fascinating hand. I too think you needed to pop once more, but I’m not sure if it’s better to cap the flop or raise the turn.

His 3 bet on the flop could mean the made Straight, a set or 2 pair. It could also mean a flush draw or an open ended straight. The EP calling has me wondering too.

I think I like just calling the flop 3-bet, then raising the turn bet. Make it expensive for EP to stay, and find out if the unknown guy has a made hand. If he raises me again, you have to consider folding.

The river is a mixed blessing, it counterfeits a hand like 65s, but makes the flush. I think you have to call.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:33 PM

Unknown could easily have 99 here.

I think you played the hand fine. I might raise the turn and fold to a reraise, but by calling calling you get to see if you're best by investing the same two bets.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:42 PM

I would have played it the same until the turn. Unknown is clearly telling you get has a made straight (78s), set, or possibly two pair. I think he is trying to protect his hand against the flush draw by betting into a preflop raiser and reraising him on the flop. I think EP has something like Ts9s or similar hand and was probably drawing at a gutshot/backdoor flush.

When the turn comes, I think you are behind. When the action gets to you on the turn there is 4.5 BB in the pot. What are your outs? Your backdoor flush is busted so nothing there. An Ace will give you trips which may not even be good. A 3 would give you a wheel which may be good if Unknown only has two pair or a set (but if he has a set he will fill up with 10 outs more often than you will hit your gutshot). So basically you have 6 outs, none of which are really clean and the pot odds aren't there to make it profitable calling on the turn. You also have EP to worry about. He is hanging around with some kind of draw, probably a flush or gutshot. If he hits either of those your Aces are no good.

I would fold the turn
Old 02-19-2003, 04:11 PM

He could also have 77, 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img], 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] , 65.

I agree that raising and folding to a 3-bet is a possibility but I don't think EP is folding for 2 bets here, so it wouldn't accomplish anything. I'd also just call this one down.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:20 PM

While it's very possible MP has a straight, he could also have the other hands you listed (set, 2 pair). He might even have 77 or 67. All of these hands would like the flush draw gone.

On the turn, there are 9.5 BB in the pot, not 4.5, so his decision is much closer. Also, the 3 doesn't give him the wheel, it means he plays the board (6-high straight). I think a raise on the turn is poor because EP doesn't look to be going anywhere, and he definitely doesn't want to call a 3-bet from MP. I think he should call the turn.

On the river, if a heart, spade, 7, or 8 appears and EP bets I think it's a clear fold. If EP checks and MP bets, it's a tough call. If the board pairs, I think it's a slightly easier call.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Results

MP showed 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img].

I'm glad I called him down, this info made me a lot of money on a later hand as well.

Peter