Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Domestic Hour: Dishwasher or Hand Wash?

My wife and I bought a house a few years ago with a nice little kitchen but no dishwasher. No problem, we said, we'll just get back to the basics and wash by hand. Dishwashers are for yuppy suckers, we thought.

Fast forward two years, and we're tired of washing by hand. It gets really bad when we have parties and other big dish-consuming events, which is fairly often. Even just our regular family dishes (we have kids) take a toll if we don't stay on top of it.

However, we have no under-counter room for a dishwasher to be installed. It would take a fairly serious kitchen remodel to make room for one. We have a little bit of space around the corner in the laundry room for a portable to be installed, but even there it would cramp things. And we think it would be a pain to roll it out, hook it up, and run the dishes overnight, then roll it back.

How 'bout it OOT? Should we just suck it up and keep doing dishes by hand until we remodel? Or is a portable worth the hassle? Is water usage an issue in the decision?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Domestic Hour: Dishwasher or Hand Wash?

Don't be lazy.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:41 PM

2 words: paper plates
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

why would it take a serious remodel? you just need to rip out 30" of floor cabinets.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would it take a serious remodel? you just need to rip out 30" of floor cabinets.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is very little counter space in this kitchen, and what there is, is at a nonstandard height. I think the original owners were midgets or something. Most of the cabinet space is at table-height rather than counter-height. It would all have to come out, thus serious remodel.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're singlehandedly killing off rainforests in South America with all the paper products we already use.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

With three kids, at the end of the day, dishes are about 26th on the list of things we want to do. The top 25 have to do with sleeping. Lazy my ass. You haven't worked until you've had kids.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:13 PM

My kitchen is tiny, and we still found room for a dishwasher without any remodeling. Dishes arent that bad if it just 2 or 3 of you, but can easily get out of control if you get a little lazy just one time after a meal. I don't think the portable would be as bad as you think, but if you are planning on remodelling in the foreseable future it might not be worth it.

Of course if you have kids, you can just make them do the dishes if they are old enough :P
Old 07-14-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My kitchen is tiny, and we still found room for a dishwasher without any remodeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link to a picture of the kitchen from a year ago while we were doing some painting and other minor remodeling. Clearly, no room for a dishwasher. That counter in the foreground is nonstandard--too short for a dishwasher to fit under.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're singlehandedly killing off rainforests in South America with all the paper products we already use.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 words: recycled paper plates.