Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Facing turn raise with AK

The converter doesn't appear to be working so apologies for the format.

Opponent is 28/10/1.6 over 200 hands.

5 handed, 5/10 (6 max) on Party

SB posts small blind (2)
BB posts big blind (5)
UTG folds

ME raises (10) to 10 with Ah Kd
Opponent calls (10)

SB folds.
BB calls (5)

3 handed to flop of 2s, 8h, Tc

BB checks
ME bets (5)
Opponent calls (5)

BB folds

2 to turn 2h
ME bets (10)
Opponent raises (20) to 20

Plan for the rest of the hand? If you call the turn what do you do on a blank river, whatabout an A or K?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Facing turn raise with AK

This is hard and I'm not that good but I'll take a crack at it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Villian is TAGish but its hard to put him on any kind of a hand. This could be a whole lot of things, a semi-bluff, a mid PP, a set. After I think about it, I like a 3-bet/fold to a cap and to lead any A or K river, c/c a blank river(maybe c/f?). We get the most in when he's semi-bluffing hearts, plus there's a chance he'll fold a hand like 99 here, maybe even a ten.

Edit: My mistake you're OOP. Misread things. Edited to consider this.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 AM

Well I called the raise and called a bet on a 3h river. He had AQ and MHIG. I like your line better though. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:11 PM

This line is interesting; at first I thought "chip spewing", but maybe not....

However, I think if you 3-bet the turn and are called, you MUST lead the river on any card (fold to a raise UI, of course). You could actually get a better hand to fold to this level of aggression, especially a "thinking" player, and I think checking the river is bad news, but I really don't like calling a river bet here and you are begging to get bluffed off a good pot if you fold. Your thoughts?

FWIW, depending on the opponent, my default line is to call the turn and fold/call river UI.

Jon
Old 07-15-2005, 12:23 PM

I think at Party $5/10 you can safely fold these until you know your opponent gets out of line with turn raises, because very few opponents do, whatever their stats.

Guy.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:39 PM

yeah 7-1 is decent odds immediately, but still not enough if you assume you're drawing (I don't think we have 6 outs here). so, if you make this call, then you're doing it based on the premise that you already have the best hand a decent portion of the time.

So that argues for a call on the river as well. but you're only getting 8-2 on a calldown, and I don't think you have the best hand or improve to it 1 time in 5. 1 time in 8, maybe.

but when you do call the turn with the best hand, I think you can expect a free showdown a lot of the time. so maybe there's a nice medium there of calling the turn and folding certain rivers (Q,J,9,heart?) and check calling the other rivers. if you factor in the free showdown you'll get some of the time, it seems like calling the turn could have merit. the only bad thing is that when you do spike, your opponent will often check behind if he's not a good value bettor. maybe bet-call the river if we improve?

I've usually been folding the turn in hands like these, but maybe I need to stop.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:47 PM

I don't think there is any need to get fancy. call and check call the river unimproved. By 3betting the turn you are losing more when behind and winning less when your ahead. You might save being sucked out on the river.