Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Default holy crap, I think I just played on the 3rd level

.. And it happened at 5/10! :O

CO has TAGish stats (23/12/2.5.. 35 WTSD)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (8 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 07-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: holy crap, I think I just played on the 3rd level

I must be very far from this type of thinking because I have no idea what you're doing in this hand. I see how his turn raise is suspicious after not betting the flop, but it could be something like 55 that he wanted action on. And when he calls your 3-bet I really think he has something, even a better A-high who called the turn just to try to maybe improve on the river. I cant see you winning this hand often. Its a small enough pot on the turn to let it go.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:24 PM

If you are going to do this, I like a river bet more than I do a river call. I think you lose more by not betting in a 8BB pot and giving him the oportunity to fold an ace, or some pair+flushdraw.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must be very far from this type of thinking because I have no idea what you're doing in this hand. I see how his turn raise is suspicious after not betting the flop, but it could be something like 55 that he wanted action on. And when he calls your 3-bet I really think he has something, even a better A-high who called the turn just to try to maybe improve on the river. I cant see you winning this hand often. Its a small enough pot on the turn to let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this guy's style of play, we can pretty much elminate a queen from his hand range after he checks last to act on the flop. This means either a weak-ish hand like a J or some kind of flush draw.

By raising my turn lead, he's calling bullshit on my having a Q. Betting from a blind when the top card on the board pairs is a pretty common bluff against perceptive players. You're the only one who could have legitimately checked top pair on the flop, having failed a CR.

Sometimes, you have to three-bet with little or no hand in these situations to keep people from picking you off every time you lead out like this.

He's going to have a busted flush draw a good percentage of the time, and it's usually not going to contain a better A, since any good suited A he would have raised preflop. Therefore, I'm probably good a decent enough % of the time to look him up on the river.

This is really just a brag post on my part, because I'm proud of my developing hand reading, but I welcome criticism from better players (read: most everybody )
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM

With "played on the 3rd level"... do you mean "I just 3-bet the turn with the worst hand and then called on the river"?

I think you are spewing, but it probably worked out for you in this hand since you posted it.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to do this, I like a river bet more than I do a river call. I think you lose more by not betting in a 8BB pot and giving him the oportunity to fold an ace, or some pair+flushdraw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, don't you think I'm more ahead when I call a bet than when I bet and get called? I think there's a lot of worse hand's he's going to bluff with than better hands he's going to fold. If we're operating under the assumption that he called bullshit on the turn by raising me, then he's not folding the river for one bet with any kind of showdown value, right?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:31 PM

I'm guessing KT or T9s, more likely the latter.

Scott
Old 07-13-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With "played on the 3rd level"... do you mean "I just 3-bet the turn with the worst hand and then called on the river"?
I think you are spewing, but it probably worked out for you in this hand since you posted it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hate this play, at least tell me your range of hands for CO and your reasoning behind it.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's going to have a busted flush draw a good percentage of the time, and it's usually not going to contain a better A, since any good suited A he would have raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
In your hand reading mastery, you should include reading your own hand. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's going to have a busted flush draw a good percentage of the time, and it's usually not going to contain a better A, since any good suited A he would have raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
In your hand reading mastery, you should include reading your own hand. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate, I don't understand.