Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 AM

Default TT in LP gets LRRed, followed by turn donkbet...

This hand has got it all...except strong play on my part. I'd played both of the bad guys for about 4 hands.

Party 2/4 10 handed. I'm dealt TT on the button. UTG and MP3 both call, I raise. Blinds fold, UTG calls, MP3 busts out the limp reraise.

Here's my first question: Call, or cap? Inevitably, limp reraises are often AA, KK, or total trash. Four hands in, I didn't know which this guy could have. So, I called. UTG calls.

The flop comes J32 rainbow. UTG checks, MP3 bets, I think about raising, feel baffled, and call. UTG calls.

Turn: 5 -- UTG donkbets. MP3 folds. (?!! Confusion++ I call.

River: 7 -- UTG bets. I call.

At the time I played this hand, I felt really confused, between the LRR and the turn donkbet. That kind of kicked me into call down mode against unknowns and only one overcard on board.

Any suggestions on how else to play the hand? A flop raise, perhaps?

Thanks,
-Brian
Old 07-13-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: TT in LP gets LRRed, followed by turn donkbet...

First post! I've been playing 3 years at the bonus clearning levels to 5/10. 2/4 I spent the most time on bankroll building. From being a lurker here for two years, there's people infinitely more experienced to offer analysis, but I'll take stab nonetheless.

------

This is a common problem at this level. 10-10 is a good hand with 2 limpers and position. I like the raise. The re-raise by MP is suspicious, but at this level and an unknown player it could be A-Ks, A-Q (etc) or any pocket pair down to 5-5.

Either way, with 2 players out of position I'm capping pre-flop to represent AA/KK. I'll fire at the flop if checked (only one over card) and will re-raise the flop if raised. If the flop is bet from either, I will raise. Only if I'm re-reaised will I think about slowing down.

If I'm re-raised, I'm putting UTG on hitting the J or a set. Early on I'm probably paying this off. Later, after I've played with him for a while, I may or may not fold to the turn raise.

If I'm called, I'm placing UTG on a weaker J but even if A-J he's now scared of QQ,KK,or AA. If he check-calls the turn I'm still firing hoping he folds or I spike a 10 on the river or that he was protecting a steallar hand like
5-6s or A-3s.

Surely, with whatever MP is holding, he is folding since he hasn't made his hand (or is weaker than you with a smaller pair.)

If UTG is playing A-J, Q-J or J-10, then kudos to him for extracting a few bets out of a aggressive player. His limps UTG with those hands will hurt him later.

Highly aggressive? Yes. You have given yourself every possible chance to win the pot. Highly effective? Usually. Often UTG will have a hand he's trying to protect like 8-8 or A-Q. Agressive play of this sort may get UTG to fold or call with a dominated hand. The action may also get MP donk to call you down with A-Q trying to drag a big pot.

If you lose the hand, you've established you're an aggressive player (perhaps maniac to the perceptive people at your table) which will help you on your premimum hands later.

Comments?

-TripleM
Old 07-13-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: TT in LP gets LRRed, followed by turn donkbet...

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my first question: Call, or cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like capping here if you think there's a chance that UTG will fold (risking 1BB for him to fold 2).

[ QUOTE ]
The flop comes J32 rainbow. UTG checks, MP3 bets, I think about raising, feel baffled, and call. UTG calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise the flop. If UTG sticks around or you get re-raised, you know you are in trouble.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: 5 -- UTG donkbets. MP3 folds. (?!! Confusion++ I call.

River: 7 -- UTG bets. I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pot is too big to lay down, and your hand is too weak to raise. I don't see any other way to play it.