Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Dealing with the Antagonistic Table Coach

Wondering if anybody has advice for dealing with a table coach that's basically a complete and utter assface.

Now.. I don't care if he berates my play (which he does all the time). The problem is that he absolutely TEARS APART the fish. He is a winning player, although far from optimal. But it's not so much that he takes their money, it's that he insults and berates them to NO END while doing it. He sits down at a table and within a couple of orbits the fish are either gone or tightened up considerably because they don't want to take his [censored].

I've tried rationally explaining to him (at a fishless table) why doing this is severely -EV. I've tried just suggesting that everybody block him since he's such a jerk. (This sometimes works with some fish..) I've tried ignoring, or making light of his comments. Even tried arguing with him on why their plays were justified. But really what I'd like to do is somehow get him to SHUT THE F UP.

Suggestions?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Dealing with the Antagonistic Table Coach

Direct his attention to you by being a dickhead.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:42 PM

Hey, that's a good idea! I never though of that.. just get him berating me Solely.. or otherwise engage him in conversation so he's too busy to insult them..
Hmmmm..
Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 PM

If you're looking for some extended anecdotes...

Besides my "On the Edge" series for 2+2, I write a "Foxwoods Follies" series for Gutshot, and I have written about table coaches and dealing with them:

Foxwoods Follies 3 - table coach part 1

Foxwoods Follies 4 - table coach part 2

Your results (and amusement) may vary.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-12-2005, 10:44 PM

Holy crap.. in the first one when you said you 'played back the hand', I was thinking you played it back *to him* like that. Me: "Um.. you're the biggest table coach out there!"
but now I get it.

Unfortunately I think it's a bit more difficult for online play where anonymity seems to make jerks out of even normal people, and complete flaming bastards out of jerks.. and it's so easy for the fish to stand up. Still, worth reading for humor value if nothing else. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 08:36 AM

Online people have the option of simply turning off the chat if they're getting hollered at ... I almost never talk online as I'm multi-tabling and -tasking so I don't spend almost any time talking to anyone other than when someone gives me the cliched "nh" and I go "ty" as I'm just that original.

Live is a different story and countermeasure against table coaches that much more relevant.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-13-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Online people have the option of simply turning off the chat if they're getting hollered at ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about others, but I find it MORE distracting to turn off the chat.

Although this may just be an annoying personal issue, I think it's important to gauge what's happening at the table through the chat. Is someone possibly tilting? Has my table image changed? Are two players working together?

This is why I applaud sites such as Stars, which make a real effort to punish rude players, and have a serious problem with sites such as Poker Room, which don't seem to care at all.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're looking for some extended anecdotes...

Besides my "On the Edge" series for 2+2, I write a "Foxwoods Follies" series for Gutshot, and I have written about table coaches and dealing with them:

Foxwoods Follies 3 - table coach part 1

Foxwoods Follies 4 - table coach part 2

Your results (and amusement) may vary.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

BVT some good stuff
Old 07-13-2005, 01:20 AM

I hate table coaches, especially those who use the word "Donkey" as if it's the secret password to their exclusive winners' club. These people are dangerous to me, because they are capable of sparking a tilt cycle.

I think most of them are relative beginners who are experiencing success through solid play, but have yet to be humbled by that sharp-toothed bad streak that makes them realize they, in the words of Rodney Dangerfield, "don't know cock."

I'm sure I berated a "fish" or two in my first few months of real-money play, when I thought playing the Top Ten Hands would earn me a ticket to the WSOP. But now I feel it's my duty to protect the unconventional players who see their poker buy-ins as entertainment expenses.

There's nothing worse than a loud-mouthed moron equipped with the dangerous comination of ignorance and confidence.

I'm getting angry just typing this ...
Old 07-14-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I berated a "fish" or two in my first few months of real-money play, when I thought playing the Top Ten Hands would earn me a ticket to the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You started with "play poker like the pros" and a dream to.
I did that and I know berated a fish or two because of it, and after 9 months of play have learned don't do that, now they just piss me off to. And unfortunately I usually go on a slight tilt with them trying to get them to berate me for a "bad play"