Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Question for ATE

I play in a limit O/8 H/Lgame that is unstructured. 1/3 blind with 5flop, 5-10turn and 5-15 river, most players play way too many hands and chase lows like there going out of style, how many and what hands should I be taking flops with?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Question for ATE

How many players at a table?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 AM

The question's for ATE, man. Pipe down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM

Please tell me where this game is, and If ATE can verify, I will be happy to answer your question, and come play.

I cannot take the chance, that this is yet another joke question, by my enemies.

If this is a legitimate question, I am sorry and hope you will understand my need to verify the question, before spending ATE time, answering.

Please tell me where this game is, and the phone number, and I will be more than happy, to answer.

adam, the helpful, yet cautious genius
Old 07-13-2005, 03:09 PM

dont worry this is not a joke, I was just curious as to how much I should losen up my starting hand components. as for the game its at a private club, if you like you can pm me and it would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM

varies but its usually 8-10 handed
Old 07-13-2005, 07:27 PM

ERRRRRRR, Ok. Sorry, but the structure was so ususual, that ATE had to think it might be an evil trick, from some %^@$%&@%&@%^ detractor.

Well, you certainly want to play as many hands, as your opponents allow you to, in this game. Normally, omaha8 games are structured for TIGHT play. ATE plays a 6-12 full kill game, in California. Double the limit about half the time, yet the blinds of a smaller game. AND, HUGE, HUGE ACTION. Talk about TIGHT, you can play ONE hand a night, and still make a few hundred, if you get lucky. The pots in this game, are up to SIX RACKS OF CHIPS, and it's easy, easy to loose a full rack . . . in one hand.

so, you'd better ONLY play the NUTS.

But, with this structure, only 3 to see the flop, yet the bets escalate rather quickly, you want to play a LOT of hands. IF the raising before the flop is not too much.

HOWEVER HOWEVER this only applies, IF, and ATE means IF . . .YOU know EXACTLY how to play your hands.

EXACTLY got that? There are games out there, where ATE plays ALMOST EVERY HAND, and does so, successfully. Any time you can win like 100 times what it costs you to see the flop, WE ARE TALKING a LOT of hands.

Now, ATE is going to produce the best omaha book, in history. As such, I am NOT going to write the full 60 pages, that it would take to competely answer this.

So, I'll just give you a simple rule: The more it costs, relative to the average profit on a hand, to see the flop, the fewer hands you play. The more unskilled you are, at playing secondary hands, the FEWER hands you play. The greater the raising before the flop, the FEWER hands you play. The looser the calling standards of your opponents, the MORE hands you play.

Just remember, that a LOOSE call before the flop ENDS THERE, IF NOT A PERFECT PERFECT FLOP.

IN OTHER WORDS: If the flop ai'nt great: CLOSE THE GATE.

Some broad coined the phraze "fit or fold" but, as we all know, ATE does NOT like to use other people's terms, even good ones (and that one, AIN"T)

There are just too too toooooooo many hands, to give an answer describing them.

Just rememeber, that TOTAL POOP, is TOTAL POOP, regardless of how live your opponents are, or how cheap the flop is.

EXAMPLES OF TOTAL POOP:

A, without 5, or lower and suited, unless as part of quality-high card hand

Such as: A 6 8 9 A 7 9 Q

These hands, are BEYOND HOPELESS.

non-ace wheel card hands, where you only have TWO of the cards needed to make wheel

Such as: 2 4 Q K 45 10 J

Rag two pair . . . HEY, WAIT A MINUTE, I'M NOT GONNA GIVE IT ALL AWAY.

private lessons available, soon when I catch up with existing students.

adam, the helpful genius
Old 07-14-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play in a limit O/8 H/Lgame that is unstructured. 1/3 blind with 5flop, 5-10turn and 5-15 river, most players play way too many hands and chase lows like there going out of style, how many and what hands should I be taking flops with?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a nice game, very baised towards strong draws though since you can toss a $15 bet on the river. These big bet on the river games tend to play much larger than they look, and yet they still favor the better player since when the big money goes in on the river the better player is about 40-80% liekly to 3/4 or scoop.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ATE plays a 6-12 full kill game, in California.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally ATE proves that he is a nobody. The world's best O8 player, tearing up 6-12, oh yeah full kill, yawn.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ATE plays a 6-12 full kill game, in California.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally ATE proves that he is a nobody. The world's best O8 player, tearing up 6-12, oh yeah full kill, yawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

A surprising number of professionals make there living in these games. I don't know if you've played in the 6-12 games in LA but this game probably goes 12-24 about half the time, and is quite agressive. This game is comperable to a 15-30 elsewhere.

BTW for quite some time, the 6-12 Omaha at the bike was kept in the top section along with other games 20/40 and up.